Saw Damaged in Shipment and a Q

My new Steel City arrived and I was unpacking it and noted that the packing crate (NOT a welded steel frame like shown on a woodworking web site but rather plywood) had taken a hit somewhere along the line.
Further investigation revealed the cabinet was unharmed but the motor fan cover was smashed up against the fan and the door latch was completely destroyed.
Sad, but I am sure I will get replacements from the vendor.
My question is this: should I demand a new motor? The fan cover obviously took a major hit, to the point where the cover conforms to the fan blades (!). I am wondering if the bearings in the motor could have been damaged by the impact. Maybe not noticeable now, but five years down the road when my warranty runs out I go to fire up the saw and the bearings seize.
My only concerns with the new motor are mounting and aligning it. Sucker looks a bit heavy ;)
TIA
D'ohBoy

Hopefully you bought with a credit card. With that much damage, I would demand either a complete replacement or a refund.

I agree with Leon. You don't want that saw. I don't know that saw, but how much of the hit did the rest of the cast iron (trunnion) take? Cast iron is funny stuff when it comes to hairline cracks.
SNIP

And I agree with Leon and Rob both. My first concern would be the very possibility of cracks in the Chinese castings that are not apparent now, and the possibility that other damage could be hidden. After all, you don't know how that hard shot to the packing occurred, but if you think about it, it would take a pretty good hit to cause the damage you are describing through the plywood packing.
Besides, for whatever it was you spent on this big ticket item, do you want to wonder if you did the right thing about this incident if the saw starts to act funny or something major breaks in a year or two?
ANYTHING that EVER went wrong with this saw I would tie back to this damage for the rest of the time I owned it.
It would be new saw time for me.
Robert

Yah, yah. Toolking is going to replace the whole saw.
Thanks to all!
D'ohBoy

BTDT... You KNOW that you should return it, but you'd LOVE to keep it to play with NOW.. ;-]
Congrats on making the wiser choice...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Turns out they didn't have another one. Probably a good thing because I think I ended up getting the saw I (think I) really wanted. We'll see how things work out. Got the Steel City 'Hybrid' 3 hp Granite topped unit. Left tilt which I felt I was compromising on with the saw they destroyed in shipping but everything else on it was so right....
Anyhoo, now I have to get it into the basement. I have a logistical issue, namely that I most likely cannot find help. Obviously, the main table comes off easy and weighs a sh**-ton as my coworker likes to say. The whole saw is about 535 lbs even with the lighter weight trunnions. But I would guess I am still left with at least 250 lbs (3 hp motor, trunnions and sheet steel cabinet). My hand cart is rated to 600lbs by Menards. Hmmm..... Bump it down the stairs on the hand cart? I slid down the stairs in front of my Rikon band saw in the box (bout 275 lbs, IIRC).
Anyone ever pull the motor from their 3hp saw? I bet that sucker is heavy. I bet getting it out is a pain, but would also wager getting it back in is even worse. It may be necessary, though, to remove the motor for the margin of safety I desire for myself AND my new saw.
Any useful advice would be appreciated!
D'ohBoy
Why not look in the papers or the phone book for guys that do odd jobs ? It may cost you a few bucks but then you can watch them do all the heavy stuff and your back will thank you. Jim

Along with that, there's the "Labor Ready" places.
A pal of mine gets guys from them to unload containers. When the truck shows up, he only gets 2 hours to unload a 53' container. Instead of having extra guys around all the time, he arranges for temporary help fro Labor Ready. They take care of taxes, etc...
I've hired them at times for landscaping, and it's worked out well.
If all else fails, many smaller moving companies have guys who would be happy to pick up a quickie to fill in the end of a day.
this reminds me of when I got my unisaw a couple years ago. thought I was going to bust a gut but I moved it myself(I'm a very large guy). do what the other guys say hire someone to help.
len

When the going gets tough, the smart hire help... ;-]
Even if it costs $50 or more, what's your body and the saw worth to you? By the time you rent a REAL furniture dolly that does stairs, and borrow or rent some kind of locking winch or something to keep it from getting away from you, it might be cheaper to hire help..
I'd probably make a deal kind of like "$50 to get it in the basement, $75 if their are no scratches or dents on the saw or stairway"... YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Actually the best thing is to refuse delivery before it gets off the truck. When the new one arrives, before you unload it, inspect the crate for visible damage, and refuse delivery it there is anything other than cosmetic. The truck driver will be furious, but he will take it back.
I was a "receiver" who accepted deliveries for an office building early in my working life, and rejected many deliveries or refused to sign for deliveries that were damaged. One truck driver took great pleasure in tossing cartons at me (I was only a teenager) from the truck. I got hit by the corner of a carton of glassware and it fell with the sound of broken glass. The next one he aimed at me I stepped aside and let it hit the wall with more sound of broken glass. I told him I was not catching any more and not signing for the broken cartons. He quickly became nicer and I never had trouble with him on later shipments.

There was only slight damage to the carton. Remove the cardboard and oh my.
OOPS delivery guy says on his way out: "I seen em much worse than this. It'll be fine." Famous last words.
D'ohBoy

Demand a new saw, thats to much money to take chances on....
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com