Saw blade sharpening

Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year. Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What does it typically cost? If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I don't want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I like the HF 50 tooth blade much better than the 40 tooth (I love the almost glass smooth end grain I usually get in a crosscut).

As for sharpening, the last time I had one sharpened was around $15. Since a new blade costs $19.95 (not on sale), it hardly seems worth it to have it shapened. I keep the old blades around to cut treated or rough stock with.

As for dulling, the 50 tooth blades tend to last quite awhile.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.

typically cost?

to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Sharpening typically will cost you $20~$30 depending on how many teeth the blade has.

If you can buy a new blade for that price buy the blade. IIRC Forrest charges me about $28 + S&H to resharpen my Forrest WWII blades. Keep in mind that these Forrest WWII blades will remain sharp for a couple of years unless you are cutting a few hours a day 5 days a week.

So you might want to consider using your best blades exclusively for good work. I do go to a cheap blade for questionable material.

Reply to
Leon

---------------------------------------------------- IMHO, you are being penny wise and pound foolish.

An el-cheepo HF blade is about $20.

You buy 2-3 year or $40-$60/year to get crappy results.

A decent blade will cost about $60-$75 individually and slightly less when bought in a 3 piece set.

You will spend about $15/blade to get a decent blade sharpened.

Expect to get about a year service/sharpening.

Based on the above, a new $75 blade is good for a year followed by a $15 sharpening.

The result is $75 + $15 = $90/2 year's service for good blades.

3 el-cheepo HF blades * 2 years = 6 blades.

6 blades * $20/blade = $120/2 year's service for crappy blades.

Ya get what ya pay for.

Donate used el-cheepo HF blades to an artist who does things like sculptures with scrap metal.

Keep the garbage lumber away from your table saw.

That's what the Sawzall was invented to handle.

If you insist on using the table saw for junk lumber keep a el-cheepo HF blade handy and use it as a throw away.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A few years ago, I bought a DeWalt 12" miter saw and it came with a DW blade. It was OK, nothing to brag about, but not so bad that I'd not use it.

I lent the saw to a friend to cut some laminate flooring and after that, it barely cut. (deal was, he's pay for sharpening) I sent the blade to Ridge Carbide and it came back better than new. I sent a couple of Freud blades too and they were at least as good as new, maybe better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That sounds exactly like what he said he does. He HAS a high end blade.

Reply to
G. Ross

IMHO, you are being penny wise and pound foolish.

If you buy a great blade, $100, use it for 2+ years befor sharpening. A good sharpening $25. 4 years use, $125.

Reply to
Leon

Saw blade manufacturers tend to do great sharpening if they do offer that service. Does/will Ridge reflatten glades also? Basically, do they offer to bring a blade back to factory specs?

Reply to
Leon

de on the table saw. =A0Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. =A0They do = dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.

s it typically cost?

't want to make a clock!! =A0I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is t= he steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Use the dull cheapos to cut aluminum. Toss.

Reply to
Father Haskell