Saw blade charpening

Page 1 of 2
With several saw blades on hand, I hate to purchase more to replace the dull ones. Therefore, I'm considering having them sharpened and asking those who sharpen their blades for recommendations.
I have also considered the option of doing it myself, though I can imagine the machine is expensive. BUT...I saw a blade sharpening machine from Harbor Freight and wondered if anyone uses it? Yea yea, HF, I know, don't do it, but sometimes they have a gem in the rough.
All inputs appreciated.
On 01/26/2010 04:22 PM, SBH wrote:

Check around, there may be a place nearby that sharpens blades.
I live in a city of about 250000 and there is a local company that does all the blade sharpening for the industrial shops. I think it was about 25 cents per tooth last time I had it done.
Chris
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:28:36 -0600, Chris Friesen

Be sure to ask if they can flatten the blade as well. If not, look elsewhere.
Oops......um, that's "sharpening".

Are they carbide blades or just regular steel? The only thing the HF POS is good for is for a trash bag weight. Depending on where you live there should be a sharpening service around somewhere. Ask around at the lumber yards or call a local sawmill if needed.
If they were expensive, sharpen them. Otherwise the $20 specials at the Borg are really just a disposable blade.
Allen
allen476 wrote:

What shortcomings did you find it to have?

The stupid thing wouldn't hold an angle for more than 3 teeth. Luckily I borrowed it because if I had paid good money for it, it would have been in pieces. I was sharpening some Oldham blades that I use for PT lumber so no big loss but frustrating none the less.
Allen
scrawled the following:

Oh, I just thought you were Hispanic. OK either way. ;)
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado

Couldn't agree more. There are limits to being self-reliant and a tight-a**ed Irishman; and saw sharpening is one of them. Besides, consistency requires pretty good equipment. One fellow who did mine years ago sharpened all kinds of saw blades, scissors, knives, industrial equipment, etc. The sharpening center he used probably cost as much as a small car. The fellow I use now is less invested but he does have a grinding jig that indexes things with his cutter. I do sharpen my own chain saw blades....most of the time.
I would rather spend my time building stuff than finding new ways to piss myself off.
That's why I don't play golf too.
RonB
"RonB" wrote

As the Scotsman was heard saying, "Laddie tis a humblin game ye play."
Lew

But isn't that how pros become pros? One must make that first leap in order to begin the journey. :)

Pros become pros by convincing someone to pay them to do something. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are competent.
SBH wrote:

This is fine if one has as a goal in life becoming a professional saw-sharpener.
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:18:00 -0500, SBH wrote:

Isn't that what the guy said that tried skydiving with a cheap parachute?
As others have said, check around. Look in local yellow pages for sharpening, saw sharpening, etc. If there is a cabinet shop or contractor available ask if they have theirs sharpened. When we lived in Wichita, a local private lumber yard chain provided sharpening services through a lady who lived in a nearby town. You dropped them off and picked them up a few days later. When I figured out where they sent them it was easy to check that town's yellow pages and I had some done directly.
Where we live now, I am fortunate to have located a gentleman who does excellent work and a very reasonable price. In many cases he provides overnight service.
Word to the wise! When you locate a source, don't drop all of your blades at once. Ease in with one or two blades, and if satisfied get some more done. I responded to a "recommendation" several years ago and the person screwed up about 1/2-dozen blades.
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:42:19 -0800, RonB wrote:

Good advice. If you lived in Wichita and had good luck with the service I am guessing the blades ended up being sharpened by a shop in McPherson. I don't remember the name of the place though. After a few hit and misses we started using the place and would send them about a dozen blades per month. They could do real miracles with cheap blades and absolute marvel on the nicer blades. We could send them good, high quality blades and they would come back cutting better and pulling less power then when they were brand new! And they did an exceptional job on planer and shaper cutters, too.
I had several done locally years ago - the quality was poor. My mitre saw blade had tearout and they seemed to dull quickly.
So I dsecided to ship several blades and a dado set off to Forrest. The guys that sell the high quality blades in mags. I'll let you know how they come back. I have great expectations. Hope they aren't dashed.

If you've got good blades, they're probably worth sharpening. However, before you start sharpening them yourself, take the time to count the teeth on the blade. A 40T TS blade doesn't seem so bad, but a 8 TPI hand saw blade (20" long) has a lot of teeth. The TS blade would probably require 30-60 seconds per tooth once you got going and the handsaw only about 5, but that's still an awful lot of work.
A decent file costs less than the HF machine, and lets you put exactly the geometry on the tooth you desire.
I've sharpened my handsaw blade, and the results are well worth it (pride especially). It's a lengthy process so music and a comfy chair are required. I'd be concerned about messing up a good TS with a poorly sharpened blade. The blade on my TS cost ~5% of what the saw cost, so it's just not worth the risk.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

What kind of file do you use to sharpen carbide?
The HF machine is specifically for circular blades.

How would a poorly sharpened blade "mess up" a table saw? I can see it messing up a piece of lumber but damaging the saw would take creativity.