Saw A Wooden Boat

Doing a bit of cruising today, lovely weather, some classical playing. Nice. And saw a truck pulling a trailer with a woden boat on it. Similar to this.

the ends were straght up and down, the sides were straight up and down instead of flared, and it looked like it was a bit deeper then that one. Couldn't see a prop or mast so figure it must be rowed. It wasn't fancy, dark green paint, but very cool, I'd rather see a wooden boat like that then the fanciest 'glass bass boat there is. Wooden boats are cool.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Mike Berger

Tue, May 29, 2007, 11:02am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@shout.net (Mike=A0Berger) doth query: Ok, but where does the saw come in?

I seed it, so I done saw it.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

this.http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM1999/articles/sampler/uncle.jpg> Except the ends were straght up and down, the sides were straight up and

Have you seen Fenger's Yakaboo?

made a replica that was featured in Wooden Boat magazine. One of these days...

RicodJour

Tue, May 29, 2007, 5:35pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth query: Have you seen Fenger's Yakaboo?

Youcha made a replica that was featured in Wooden Boat magazine. One of these days..

Possibly, I subscribe to WoodenBoat, a most excellent magazxine. But (one), I have absolutely no interest in a small tippy sailboat like that; and, (two), have absolutey no desire to have much to do with any water that contains fish large enough to devour me, especially in a tippy little boat, of any type,

Ran across a sailboat design years back that I hope one day to make, got a set of plans tucked away. Not sure why I like it so much - because I've never sailed an inch in my life, and no real desire to do so either. Scroll down to the Pocket Cruiser, that's the one.

But, as soon as I can get the space to work, the first boat I want to make will be of my own; design, inspired by Phil Bolge; and, hopefully, steam powered.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Excellent; a boat thread. It gives me the opportunity to give some credit to a friend of mine who has a boatbuilding business in the South of England. He makes racing boats - which make the "tippy" boat the OP described look as stable as a punt - and they are works of art. Look:

generally
click on "Picture gallery".

(Oh, OK. The hulls are laminated and have an inner core of kevlar or something high-tech and very stiff; I'll still say the pictures belong in the woodworking group :-)

Reply to
Henry Law

Wed, May 30, 2007, 9:01pm (EDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@lawshouse.org (Henry=A0Law) doth sayeth: Excellent; a boat thread. It gives me the opportunity to give some credit to a friend of mine who has a boatbuilding business in the South of England. He makes racing boats - which make the "tippy" boat the OP described look as stable as a punt - and they are works of art.

Purty. But, personally, I don't have too much use for any boat you can't fish from. If you've never seen a copy, WoodenBoat is my favorite woodworking magazine. They feature wooden boats, and ships, from around the world. Some of them are all wood, some are a lot more "exotic" than your friend's boats. Some are totally low tech made, some apparently need rocket scientists in their constructon. They're all interesting. Check some of the readers' boats.

They also=

have some very interesting articles on how to make tools and such - planes, clamps, etc. If you contact them, they might well do a story on your friend and his boats.