saving some oak veneer off mdf board

Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); i thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak veneer, which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the mdf board to be able to re-use it? Thanks for advice

Reply to
john royce

Nope.

What's wrong with using the veneered MDF?

RicodJour

Quick answer, no. At least not a practical way. just use the whole thing as is if it hasn't gotten rained on to the point of ruination--there's nothing wrong with MDF as a cabinetry material as long as you understand its limitations, the most important of which being KEEP IT DRY.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A large enough bandsaw could resaw the veneer off the MDF but it's doubtful it would be worth the effort.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

At first I thought you could re-use it in the fire pit, but then I remembered that it's full of glue, which is bad to burn.

Reply to
scritch

Based on recent experience and my recent post I can't imagine getting anything off of a piece of veneered MDF. On the sample I saw at the lumberyard yesterday the veneer was so thin you could practically rub it off. Can't believe you could salvage it. Just use it as is as though it was a piece of veneer plywood.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I cut thin veneers off plywood and mdf to have a matching veneer on the edge of the sheets. All you have to do is make a sawblade dado at the width you need the strip- up to a couple of inches high, then cut the plywood on edge (vertically) on the table saw to release the veneer. You have to hold the sheet very solidly very close to the blade and after the blade, and have both a zero clearance insert and an outfeed table.

The guy demonstrating the Grip-tite magnetic featherbord at the woodworking shows has done it for 10 years in his demo. I saw a picture of Frank Klausz doing the same cut with a Grip-Tite on the edge of a 5' x 3' tabletop in American Woodworker back in 1994. THe used one old wood one. Here is a video of the cut at the Seattle Woodworking show.

jerry