satin varnish streaky

I applied 2 coats of gloss varnish, sanding lightly between coats, and it looked fine. The final coat of satin varnish (Pratt-Lambert 38 Clear), when viewed almost from on edge, looks streaky. Is there a way to avoid that?

Reply to
Dan Grayson

JGS

Depends on what caused it. Best guess you either didn't stir the finish well enough to get the flatteners into full suspension or didn't periodically restir.

Best way to avoid that kind of problem is to learn to rub out the finish to the gloss you want.

Reply to
Mike G

This has happened to me, applying Minwax satin oil-based over gloss.

I found the satin did not adhere to the underlying gloss as well as the gloss layers adhered to each other.

I would lightly sand your topmost gloss surface to present a rough surface for the satin to adhere to.

And as others have recommended, stir well! Every 5 minutes while working. (My new can came with the flattening agent all settled to the bottom... getting it mixed again was extremely difficult!)

- Daniel

Reply to
Daniel