Satin poly over Gloss???

Before DH started applying polyurethane to our cedar mantle, he asked if I wanted satin or gloss. I said gloss. Think I made a mistake :( Can we go over it with satin poly with no ill side affects? There are 4 coats of gloss on there now. Thanks for you help, Monica

go
yes, that's actually preferred.

if I

we go

of
Easier would be to rub it down with 0000 steel wool. Then you can get the exact gloss you want.
I'm not too sure this would be easier in our case. The cedar mantle is a 200lb + "natural" cut. Did a google search on "satin over gloss" and seems like it's split down the middle....satin over gloss vs sanding with steel wool to achieve the satin look. Thanks you both for your replies. Monica

go
If you already have 4 coats of gloss there is no need to put anything else on it -- just dull the existing finish a bit with some steel wool. Adding more coats will just muddy the appearance of the wood grain even more than the satin finish will. Just my $0.02 but I do it frequently myself so I know that it works.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]