Saratoga NY Woodworking show and Chris Schwarz

Hi Folks,

I just got back from a woodworking show in Saratoga, NY. A great show. Everything from turnings to large case construction. Best of all Chris Schwarz was there and I got a signed cop of his book. Haven't read it yet, but have thumbed through it. It looks like the usual great job by Chris. It also came with a CD that Chris says has the whole book on it plus a lot of material he couldn't put in the book.

The book is available on the internet. If you haven't already found it and purchased it try

Chiefwoodworker

.

I was there today and as usual was in awe at what some people can do. Everything from boats to banjos and even a very detailed steam shovel model, you name it. The bowl turnings and carvings along with marquetry scenes were well represented. The thing I am always interested in is the variety of finishes people use and combinations they have developed through experimentation and is always changing with the products that come out due to new regulations in VOC's.

Reply to
RF

May the Schwartz be with you!

**
**

B A R R Y

I think the show was great this year... even if Chris did jokingly give me the bum's rush to get me out of the presentation room at the end of my presentations. ;~) His presentation on hand saws and sawing was just the reinforcement my sons needed to hear. When he talked about the three quality levels of sawing and described the methodology for best quality results (appearance and size) I said to my boys "You already know that don't you." They both said "Yeah" with connotations that "Hey Dad, you did know what you were talking about." ;~)

It was great to finally meet our occasional visitor Doug Stowe in person. We had a lot of great discussions about his Wisdom of the Hands program. If you haven't read his Woodwork magazine articles on Sloyd you can get information about both programs on his blog... The world got a bit smaller too as it turns out that Wayne Barton is an associate of my neighbor who is a long time associate of my father--what's the line about degrees of separation? Peter Korn of Center for Furniture Craftsmanship, Wayne and Doug made for delightful dinner companions. The degree of dedication, love of woodworking, and desire to transfer knowledge was very evident in the discussions... and all were witty to a fault!

The folks at the Lee Valley booth informed me that demand for the new tool introduced last Tuesday was strong. ;~) At the L-N booth I got my L-N tattoos and L-N logo glider. We had an unplanned visitor too... Graham Blackburn and his partner in the "Woodworking in Action" DVD magazine came to the show and filmed some footage that will appear in a future issue. A bunch of TV stations and newspapers were in attendance also... It was a big deal!

I was thrilled that both my sons won ribbons for their work! I'll put some photos up on ABPW.

Thanks to all who attended! It was a lot of work but I had a great time and it was definitely worth all the effort...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

John,

I lost my program. What presentations did yo give? I go to the show every year. If you are there next year I'll make it a point to sit in.

Joe...

Chiefwoodworker

| > I think the show was great this year... even if Chris did jokingly give me | > the bum's rush to get me out of the presentation room at the end of my | > presentations. ;~) His presentation on hand saws and sawing was just the | > reinforcement my sons needed to hear. When he talked about the three quality | > levels of sawing and described the methodology for best quality results | > (appearance and size) I said to my boys "You already know that don't you." | > They both said "Yeah" with connotations that "Hey Dad, you did know what | > you were talking about." ;~) | >

| > It was great to finally meet our occasional visitor Doug Stowe in person. We | > had a lot of great discussions about his Wisdom of the Hands program. If you | > haven't read his Woodwork magazine articles on Sloyd you can get information | > about both programs on his blog... The world got a bit smaller too as it | > turns out that Wayne Barton is an associate of my neighbor who is a long | > time associate of my father--what's the line about degrees of separation? | > Peter Korn of Center for Furniture Craftsmanship, Wayne and Doug made for | > delightful dinner companions. The degree of dedication, love of woodworking, | > and desire to transfer knowledge was very evident in the discussions... and | > all were witty to a fault! | >

| > The folks at the Lee Valley booth informed me that demand for the new tool | > introduced last Tuesday was strong. ;~) At the L-N booth I got my L-N | > tattoos and L-N logo glider. We had an unplanned visitor too... Graham | > Blackburn and his partner in the "Woodworking in Action" DVD magazine came | > to the show and filmed some footage that will appear in a future issue. A | > bunch of TV stations and newspapers were in attendance also... It was a big | > deal! | >

| > I was thrilled that both my sons won ribbons for their work! I'll put some | > photos up on ABPW. | >

| > Thanks to all who attended! It was a lot of work but I had a great time and | > it was definitely worth all the effort... | >

| > John | | John, | | I lost my program. What presentations did yo give? I go to the show | every year. If you are there next year I'll make it a point to sit in.

I did some of the more esoteric presentations of the show... Advanced Dovetail Techniques. Starting assumption was that if you were there you were already familiar with cutting through and half blind dovetails. I spent most of the time on Hounds Tooth dovetails and a bit on compound angle dovetailing. The primary focus was on how to lay them out and how to go about chopping the waste for the Hounds Tooth. If you knew nothing about hand cut dovetailing it would have been tough to follow the presentation.

Chris Schwarz did his Three Classic Saw Cuts presentations immediately after I was done... thought about adding his rip and cross cut panel saws to my pile on the way out but figured he could out run me as I was pushing my wheeled box of tools from the room. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Sounds like a presentation I would like to see. I'll look forward to it next year.

Joe....

Chiefwoodworker