Sapele finishing experience?

I got what looked like a deal on 4/4 and 5/4 rough shorts (4 feet) of Sapele. I noticed it on a pallet on sale for $3.50 bf as I was leaving a supplier. They had one piece planed down and the sparkle and patterened grain looked nice, like a red mohag. I grabbed a few sticks to try out on a new clock design. Haven't started milling it yet but was wondering what experience anyone has had finishing this species?

I am thinking an oil to pop the sparkle and maybe a ruby shellac to intensify the redness.

Also considering a wash of dye to maybe excentuate the figure. This isn't the pommel or curly or anything special in terms of figure but at least one piece shows some nice stripe-ing through the rough cut.

Can't wait to clean it up and see what comes out.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I like Sapele a lot. It finishes more brownish in color, than say the more redish African mahogany. I've found it also doesn't have any of the cross grain blotchiness issues of African Mah. I bought some but ended up not using it for the intended project. It had sticker stains that just wouldn't come out. Lesson learned for me. I did use a piece for the base of a bird house lamp and just finished with a wipe on poly. It looks great though and the striping is well defined and stands out nicely with just that simple finish.

Reply to
Jim Hall