Sap Bleeding through Finish on Cabinet Drawers

We moved into a new house six months ago. We selected some beautiful cherry cabinets and have been very happy with the choice. Recently, the finish on the end grain of several cabinet drawers has taken on a milky haze. My guess is that sap is bleeding through the finish.

Plan A is to have the builder replace the offending drawers.

If Plan A does not work, how do I remove this sap without hurting the finish? If I am mis-diagnosing this problem, I am sure you will let me know.

I appreciate your collective wisdom. Thanks for the help.

Dick Fitzwell

Reply to
Dick Fitzwell

Six months ago in the humidity, now in the heating season? Sounds like the moisture's trying to find its way out. Probably will, because no finish is perfect enough to completely close it out.

Decide next spring. It's certainly not sap, because sap comes out in the spring, not fall. You're not in the southern hemisphere are you?

Reply to
George

The milky haze sure sounds like moisture to me. When this happens on a table top, wiping some mayonnaise on like a poultice seems to remove it. Are the drawers having the problem close to the dishwasher or other source of humidity?

DanG