Sandpaper Sharpening

I sharpen my chisels with my belt sander.... seems to work for me.

Reply to
Locutus

I've never used a waterstone, but have you tried out any oil stones? I've got a set of hard Arkansas stones, and they aren't showing much noticable wear after a lot of use. I've tried the scary-sharp method with the sandpaper as well, but I found the same thing you have- I just went through too much paper. $30 worth of stone has lasted for years, and makes an edge that seems to me to be just as good.

Reply to
Prometheus

See ABPW for an Adobe attachment of a WoodSmithShop design.

Well thought out IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------------------------------ Can't get file to upload, Astraweb complains file is too big.

Oh well.

You can go to:

Find episode 109, and you can download the Adobe file.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How Big?

If it is pictures you can probably shring it with many Photo programs. The resolution can be quite bad and look reasonable on a screen.

Reply to
John G

Interesting. Thank you for the link. I have a jig just like he does but I didn't use it (I didn't realize it would hold a gouge--if I once knew, I forgot).

His setup has a lot going for it. I was surprised he didn't do more work on the back before proceding to work on the bevel (right after the first grit).

I may practice sharpening some more tonight; thanks for some inspiration.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bill

--------------------------------------- Who knows.

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel when a direct solution exists.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Gets a bit closer...

Richard

posted to ABPW

Reply to
ChairMan

also added The Art Of Woodworking Vol 5 - Sharpening And Tool Care.PDF its a self extracting rar file (.exe) 92,609KB total size posted in 60 -1,424 KB .rar files with 4 recover volumes Also added some .Par files its been a long time since I rar'd up a file and posted multi parts.tested the volumes and passed, when extracting I get an error message, but the file is intact and works

Okay, it posted and works(at least at this end)

Reply to
ChairMan