Sanding tree rings for viewing under a microscope

Page 1 of 2
I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end g rain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What br and or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest fi nish under this situation?
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

0, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is th at the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after ru bbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest finis h under this situation?
Have you tried 3M Wet or Dry and use turpentine? Never did it, but came to mind...
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:26:32 PM UTC-4, Bob Villa wrote:

400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What bra nd or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest fin ish under this situation?

I have only tried gator
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Time to get out of Lowe's. Look for the Norton 3X paper and give that a try. You might be able to get a sample pack so you don't have to invest too much in the paper.
I had some 3M 3x paper that fit the "mouse" sander. It was pretty decent stuff.
If you're doing this on a regular basis, it might be worth looking at Festool. Their sander is half of the equation, the top quality papers is the other half. Festool is a "cry once" tool, as in you only cry when you buy it but never again.
Puckdropper
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 10:06:16 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Does the Norton 3X paper come in grits higher than 400 grit since that is all I can find.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Is there an auto parts store near you? If so try them. They should have sandpaper to thousand grit or higher. If there's a Woodcraft they have it to 12,000.
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 6:07:23 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

I found aluminum oxide up to 400 grit. Since aluminum oxide does not seem to go above 400 grit, would silicone carbide last for wood?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Are you serious? (or trolling...)
800 grit: https://www.airgas.com/p/NOR66261139382 1200 grit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UXDWRV4/ 1500 grit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UXDWS9U/
On 6/21/2016 7:34 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Polishing-Waterproof-Abrasive-Plastics/dp/B00LXZAB5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid 66585781&sr=8-2&keywords@00+grit+sand+paper
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tri-M-ite-Micron-Green-Polishing/dp/B00WTHK354/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid 66585642&sr=8-4&keywords00+grit+sand+paper
https://www.amazon.com/Zona-37-948-Polishing-11-Inch-Assortment/dp/B001BHGC7G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid 66585478&sr=8-12&keywords=wet+or+dry+sandpaper

Apparently you totally missed the "aluminum oxide" part. :-/
On 6/22/2016 5:05 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

wrong with [the] type of sandpaper I use?" "What type of sandpaper would provide the cleanest finish? The query obviously is not limited to an aluminum oxide solution.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Works fine. 1000 grit shouldn't have a lot to do--you should have been through 600 and 800 first. If you want 1000 grit specifically for wood and can't find it elsewhere, Klinspor is a good source <https://www.woodworkingshop.com/
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote: [...]

There's part of your problem -- that stuff is crap. Use 3M or Norton instead, and garnet (reddish brown) or corundum (black) abrasive instead of aluminum oxide.
I wonder also how thoroughly dried the wood is. Green (wet) wood will clog any sandpaper.
Doug Miller wrote:

Corundum IS aluminum oxide. The black is silicon carbide (AKA carborundum) or - maybe - emery (AKA corundum) which is ALSO aluminum oxide. Why did you suggest garnet?

garnet sandpapers wear *much* better than aluminum oxide papers. Garnet seems to stay sharper a lot longer.

On 6/16/2016 3:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Keep in mind that Garnet seems to stay sharp longer because it re- fractures with use and therefore creates new cutting surfaces.
The drawback however is that as the garnet breaks down it also tends to change to a finer grit so sanding to a consistent smoothness with several pieces of paper over different surfaces might be tricky.
If you are looking for a long lasting paper the Festool Granat, lite blue colored, sand paper lasts a very very long time compared to any paper I have used. It is very resistant to loading up, even when removing cured finishes. I have had a single piece of this paper last over the coarse of 2~3 complete projects and still remain sharp. It is now what I use exclusively.
On 6/16/2016 4:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I have Garnet paper that has lasted over 40 years, because about the only time I use it is for facing jigs I don't want to slide. Garnet paper is hard to find because it wears poorly and has all but been replaced with aluminum oxide. It doesn't last long enough to worry about staying sharp, both I guess is due to it's easiness to fracture. Its main claim to fame is it's cheap, and it is.
--
Jack
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:26:32 PM UTC-4, Bob Villa wrote:

400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What bra nd or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest fin ish under this situation?

What is turpentine used for?
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:05:40 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem i s that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even afte r rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth . Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What b rand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest f inish under this situation?

It keeps the sandpaper cleaner and "cuts" better than being dry.
On 2016-06-16 01:19:48 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said:

Why not try a plane? CP