sanding soft and hard woods together?

hi, my laminated woodworking project has epai and African mahogany strips in it. kind of like a butcherboard. No matter how straight a backing board I use. (I've even tried marble and tile) the softer wood sands first and I have "dents" where the harder wood is proud. I don't have access to a thickness sander. Any tips? Thank you.

Reply to
layman

Try using a scraper instead - you should get a more uniform finish.

Reply to
Rob V

Rob,

I have to respectfully disagree here. I once used a scraper on a row of mortises (craftsman style piece). The scraper cut a *noticeable* dip over the mortise.

I would use the handplane in this instance as I *believe* the hard and soft woods would behave the same given the curved edge a scraper presents.

YMMV FWIW MY2CW ETCETC AODYCTO

JC

Reply to
noonenparticular

Like Rob said, a scraper or a smoother hand plane.

Reply to
Leon

I think you meant ipe for the hard wood. This is very dense. I have some cutoffs from a colleagues deck project where I helped to install the decking.

Perhaps the ipe dust is adding to the abrasion of the mahogany.

I have not tried to plane ipe, but I have planed maple, which is not as dense. Maple is not easy to get an even stroke. Depends on how long the board is. I expect ipe is even harder to plane by hand.

I agree with the suggestion to try scraping. Less dust and can be a smoother result.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Have you ever used a scraper that had a straight edge vs. a curved one? Those work a lot like a hand plane.

Reply to
Leon

Actually I don't own a curved edge scraper (didja hear that Santa? Hint Hint.....).

However, I always bow mine outward with my thumbs while scraping. That was the curved edge I was referring to.

Should have said so, but I usually assume everybody is reading my mind. ;-)

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular