Sanding Forstner bottoms

Have several round recesses 3/8" deep x 1 3/8 to 1 1/2" dia. in alder that need sanding. Anyone have any idea's on this or where to get that small of ROS (kidding)? One side is fine but the other is torn a bit so needs to be sanded. I'm making a portable flytying desk and has many wells for thread spools, etc. Oh yes, my forstner bits are very sharp and cut clean bottoms in other woods, just not alder.

Thanks for your idea's.

Al in WA

PS: Our 26th G-child loves her cradle and is now 10 days old. Will get a pic of her in it tomorrow and post on apbw where I posted the cradle.

Reply to
Al Miller

turn a cylinder about 6" long to the diameter needed ( 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" ) and turn one end small enough to put into the drill press chuck and add sticky sandpaper to its end and put it in the drill press. Set your drill press to a low speed and then lower the homemade sanding drum down into your hole.......should work very well Mike from American Sycamore

aswr

Here's what I have done in the past. Cut disk of timber anywhere from

1/2" to 3/4" thick, the diameter of the hole. Drill a 1/4" hole in the centre of the disk and countersink one side. Place a 1/4" wood bolt through the hole and tighten down with a washer and nut. The bolt head goes into the countersink so that it is below the surface and the square shaft will stop the disk spinning. Glue a piece if insertion rubber on the disk, so as to cover the side where the bolt head is. Glue a piece of Sand paper onto the insertion rubber. Place the bolt shaft into your drill press and away you go. Make sure that the drill is turning relatively slowly or you will have to change paper quite often. If you don't have access to insertion rubber any soft surface will do, even nylon scouring pads. Hope that you can make sense of this and that it helps. All the best John
Reply to
John B

Thanks Mike,

Funny you mentioned that, right after I posted that came to mind. Big problem, all the tools in my shop, I don't have a lathe! Will have when I get moved to Libby, MT, my Son has a good but unused lathe. So in the mean time I'll have to figure out a way to put a 1/2" dowel into the end of a 1

1/4" dowel. But that is a very good idea.

Al in WA

Reply to
Al Miller

Thanks John, I'm going to try that, should work for this and future projects.

Al in WA

Reply to
Al Miller

Drill a hole in the end of the larger dowel, but don't drill a 1/2" hole. Drill 31/64" hole, then put in a little glue and use a vise to push the dowel into the hole. In metalworking we call this a press fit. A hole is drilled undersized, and then a rod is pressed into it.

Reply to
woodworker88

Veneer them instead. Cut disks, glue them down.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Use your 3/4" hole saw to cut a undersized 3/4" 'wheel (I used to do this for toy wheels for my kid's toy cars)- usually comes with a 1/4" drill bit in the center. Get a 5/16 dowel or bolt -- with the bolt you will have to cut off the head. Glue the dowel into the hole- you will have to sand off a little wood in your drill press- you now can add sandpaper. (see previous methods) To use the bolt, you may have to re drill the center hole in the little wheel that acomes out of the hole saw to 9/32nds & you can then screw in the bolt. (to get the bolt really straight into the wood, chuck it in the drill press & use the drill chuck to guide the bolt into the hole. ) Chuck in the drill press & go

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

something like that work?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I buy hook & loop sanding pads (fit drills) here:

have both 1" and 1.5" sizes that should work well for you..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis