SANDERS: RoS vs Vibrating kind

Basic question here...

Under what circumstances is it better to use a Random Orbital Sander versus a square bottoms vibrating type?

Here's two examples...

Square Vibration type sander (doesn't vibrate in one direction, goes all over):

?productID=3765Just not sure if it pays to have both, or just one or the other or what.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr B

versus a square bottoms

Just about any circumstance the ROS is better. One exception is corners; the square can fit better.

When my square sander died I bought an ROS and never replaced the square job. The better ROS are faster and leave a better pattern of scratches. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

bottoms

When it's a good ROS. A bad (ie cheap) vibrating sander works, bu tis underpowered. A bad ROS scratches circles into everything and ruins whatever finish is already there.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

bottoms

I used a square bottom for many years. Recently I go a ROS, which is a bit more aggressive than the square palm sander. The square bottom palm sander does not require special sandpaper than the ROS. I like having both!

Reply to
Phisherman

I only have a random orbit sander (DeWalt) and I love it more than nearly any other tool I own. I don't mind having to get the special sandpaper with the velcro backing because it's so convenient. I get absolutely fantastic results with it. The sanding is perfectly even, smooth as a baby's bottom, and can be done very quickly with little effort.

Reply to
Ksu93dlv

If you are trying to decide on just one, then it is a no-brainer... ROS. Cuts faster, leave a better surface, more convenient.

The 1/4 sheet sanders are useful, but you can live without one.

Reply to
Toller
1/4 sheet square are easier to maneuver (less gyro effect) overhead, in and around and close to edges. Not as aggressive, which is sometimes an advantage, and capable of safely sanding narrow edges. If first, ROS, if second, a square one. I like the PC speedbloc.

Now if you have a third sander, it's time to debate the virtue of a belt vs another ROS....

versus a square bottoms

Reply to
George

Actually I already have the square kind (pretty much like the one in the link) and I'm considering getting a RoS with some Christmas money I got. Just wasn't sure if it was worth it but from reading this thread, it sounds like it is...

Reply to
Mr B