sander sitter

I picked up one of those sander sitters at the woodworking show last weekend. Quick review: It works!

With only a few hours of sanding and using it, I'd say it at least doubles the life of the sandpaper. Pretty good for $20 ($15 at Lee Valley doh!).

Reply to
Jim

Anthony Diodati

Never heard of it.

I use a piece of carpet backing in a block of wood I routed a circle into. Cost about 8 cents ;)

Works fine.

Reply to
Rob V

Just did a quick search on it - is that pad something special? Like one of those gum sticks that you can use on a belt sander??

Reply to
Rob V

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
JGS

Just waiting for the sander to spin down works, too. I timed my PC 333 on the shop clock: eight seconds from power-off to full stop. Seems to me that these sander sitters are for people with a *severe* case of impatience.

I figure over the life of the tool, I'm gonna spend about three times as long trying to *find* the sander sitter, as I'll ever spend waiting for the tool to spin down at eight seconds a pop.

Doug Miller

I picked one up at last year's Milwaukee Wood Show from either the Rockler booth or the Woodcraft booth for $9.99. I love it, and it does seem to help keep the grit unclogged.

If you like to watch your sander slow down, don't buy it.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

All I can say is, your time must be *really* valuable if eight seconds makes a difference to you. :-)

Doug Miller

I just can't see 20+/- bucks for something like that? 20 bucks toward a clamp!

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

... all I can say is that you must not put your sander down very often. 8 seconds once is one thing, do it 10 or more times as you shift a workpeice, move between grits, etc. those 8 seconds add up to quite a bit of time.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

True, I don't put my sander down very often, but that's partly because I don't pick it up very often either. I prefer to use scrapers most of the time. That way, I can work while the kids are asleep; I can listen to the shop stereo while I work; and cleanup means a broom and dustpan right next to the bench, instead of vacuuming the whole shop.

Doug Miller

Yup. basically EXACTLY like those gum sticks. The idea is that since the base spins with the sandpaper, it won't wear out for a long time.

"Rob V" wrote in news:_5nSb.29820$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Reply to
Jim

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

Personally, I didn't buy it for the spin down time. I bought it to extend my sanding disks. The gum bottom does a very good job cleaning the grit on the pad. I probably should have been more clear on the function in my original post.

Reply to
Jim

Hi, I would like to purchase a couple of them. How can I? I don’t see an add to cart link. Thanks

Reply to
Andy Sahadeo

Maybe that's because you're trying a link that is 17 years old.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And or it is not worth the money. Just turn the sander off.

Reply to
Leon

My ROS doesn't stop instantly. It takes 6 - 7 seconds to come to a full stop. Sometimes I put it down before it stops, but there are times/places where that's not possible.

Not that I'm running out to buy a "sitter", but I can see the advantage.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I totally understand but when I was sanding with PC sanders I was in multiple places. The "sitter" would never have been within a 7 second walk around a work bench. Most of my Festool sanders stop quickly, one stops before I can sit it down.

Reply to
Leon