sander sitter

I picked up one of those sander sitters at the woodworking show last weekend. Quick review: It works!
With only a few hours of sanding and using it, I'd say it at least doubles the life of the sandpaper. Pretty good for $20 ($15 at Lee Valley doh!).
Wood craft tried to sell me one of those, I did not think it was worth it, I just wait for the sander to stop before setting it down. Tony D.

Never heard of it.
I use a piece of carpet backing in a block of wood I routed a circle into. Cost about 8 cents ;)
Works fine.

doubles
doh!).
Just did a quick search on it - is that pad something special? Like one of those gum sticks that you can use on a belt sander??

No, It think what you do,is set your sander in there,as soon as you shut it off, and I think it kind-of turns with the sander till it runs down, so you can set it down right away. IIRC Like I said, It did not seem worth it to me, but YMMV. Tony D.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid@10&gift lse&mscssid4A491F1E294B9DBD8EF2FA3DF3DD14

it
you
Yes, it has replaceable gum disks. JG
Rob V wrote:

Yup. basically EXACTLY like those gum sticks. The idea is that since the base spins with the sandpaper, it won't wear out for a long time.

Just waiting for the sander to spin down works, too. I timed my PC 333 on the shop clock: eight seconds from power-off to full stop. Seems to me that these sander sitters are for people with a *severe* case of impatience.
I figure over the life of the tool, I'm gonna spend about three times as long trying to *find* the sander sitter, as I'll ever spend waiting for the tool to spin down at eight seconds a pop.
I picked one up at last year's Milwaukee Wood Show from either the Rockler booth or the Woodcraft booth for $9.99. I love it, and it does seem to help keep the grit unclogged.
If you like to watch your sander slow down, don't buy it.
Joe

JOE) wrote:

All I can say is, your time must be *really* valuable if eight seconds makes a difference to you. :-)

I just can't see 20+/- bucks for something like that? 20 bucks toward a clamp!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

... all I can say is that you must not put your sander down very often. 8 seconds once is one thing, do it 10 or more times as you shift a workpeice, move between grits, etc. those 8 seconds add up to quite a bit of time.

True, I don't put my sander down very often, but that's partly because I don't pick it up very often either. I prefer to use scrapers most of the time. That way, I can work while the kids are asleep; I can listen to the shop stereo while I work; and cleanup means a broom and dustpan right next to the bench, instead of vacuuming the whole shop.
(BIG JOE) wrote:

Personally, I didn't buy it for the spin down time. I bought it to extend my sanding disks. The gum bottom does a very good job cleaning the grit on the pad. I probably should have been more clear on the function in my original post.