Sander Recomendations

If you could only have two or three powered sanders what would they be and why?

One of a series of questions in preparation to setting up a small home shop. TIA

Erik Ahrens, Apprentice termite

Reply to
ELAhrens

Belt sander and a ROS? One to take material away fast and one to do finish work ... If I understand the question.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Plane(s) Spokeshave(s) Scrapers ROS Orbital 1/4 sheet

Don't like or use hand-held belt sanders. Stationary are useful for some things, but only if the piece is firmly held against a table or stop, so it isn't pressing the belt where it heats, dries, and sets scratches in the surface.

Reply to
George

Delta BOSS (Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander). Comes with an assortment of spindle sizes ranging from (IIRC) 3/4" to 3" diameter. Does a great job of sanding curves, especially inside curves. Very, very quiet. When attached to a dust collector, it makes almost no mess. Wish I'd bought one a long time ago.

Porter-Cable 333 random-orbit sander. Produces very smooth surfaces very quickly -- although a scraper does a better job, faster, and with less noise.

Doug Miller

IMHO, you don't like them because you have not used them enough to get good at it. They are a great way to rough sand, and flatten, but take a lot of skill.

Reply to
Morgans

Your opinion is worth the information it's based on.

Planes are much faster, friendlier, though perhaps you haven't acquired the necessary skills yet....

Reply to
George

I have PC 333 ROS DeWalt 433 ROS Ridgid Oscillating drum/belt Ryobi Belt sander

I use the Ridgid frequently for many things and have good control by moving the work against the belt.

I use the Ryobi the least as I have the least control. It is very good for rough sanding and making a shape, but I'm not confident or competent enough to use it for flattening anything. One wrong move and "ouch" you have a divot.

I don't use planes enough Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I also have the PC 333 ROS, but I've since added a wooden smoothing plane (knight-toolworks) to my collection and my ROS has been collecting dust ever since. I really wish I had switched sooner to be honest. At least I didn't buy a belt sander, I'm going to go with the Jack Plane instead (and expect to be much happier for it).

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho