Sander Question

Hmmmm....

Reminds me of the guy who said "Doc, will I be able to play the piano after the surgery?" The doctor said "Sure!" The guy said "That's fantastic! I've always wanted to play the piano!"

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

You could easily run two sanders off of a 120 compressor.

Reply to
sandingsupply

Unfortunately, I _did_ play the bass, for ~ 25 years. I really miss it.

Music is a many-level outlet for a human that is often hard for non-musicians to understand. It's frustrating to no longer play.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I AM a musician, and I understand exactly what you mean. I'd have a hell of a time adjusting if, for some reason, I couldn't play any more. That is another reason I am EXTREMELY careful with my power toys.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

B A R R Y wrote: [snipped for brevity]

Truer words were never spoken. I never played professionally, because I never thought I was good enough. Few tried to encourage me. I just never saw the need. I just noodle away and pick songs I like and find challenging. Sometimes it takes weeks to get a certain lick down to where I'm happy with it. When alone, I pick at my much abused J50, when the wife and kid are home, I use headphones on my Tele. Heroes include, but not limited to: Roy Buchanan, Leo Kottke that sort of rot. Now I'm working on the Beatles' Blackbird. (A very nice version by Sarah McLauchlan is currently in CD player... tricky lill' tune, that.) I do get help from a friend of mine who does play professionally (he agrees that I probably shouldn't..lol) I really increased my time playing when I quit smoking 5 years ago.... it really helped.

Happiness is a fresh set of strings.

Robatoy

You could easily run two sanders off of a 120 compressor.

I wonder how many people in a recreationatial news group would have access to a 120 gallon compressor?

Reply to
Leon

A question was asked, I provided an answer.

Reply to
sandingsupply

The solid surface trade, in my area, has tried just about everything. Right up to 10 HP 3phase 200 gallon compressors, using Sioux, Dynabrade, all kinds of sanders. With and without extraction. Almost without exception, all that hardware is collecting dust and the reigning devices are almost always either electric Fein or Festool... or a mix thereof. ( In my case, a Festool sander and a Fein vacuum in the shop.) I have a Fein sander and a Festool vacuum, sitting on the truck. I also use a 6" Ridgid ROS for some jobs. The Fein sander is okay, but big...8" and close to 2 HP. Perfect for an on-site seam when using it 'flat'. It has become clear, that for maximum performance of any sanding system, the removal of the waste is the key to a proper job. That is, in solid surface. Myself, I see no reason why that wouldn't true when sanding anything else. Most of my work is flat, which changes the requirements of the user.

Small, contour stuff, I either do by hand, or this nifty little Bosch

1297DK 1/4 sheet with optional adaptor so my Fein sucker works with it. Great little sander with good dust control.
Reply to
Robatoy

I'm with you, I bought a ROS after reading this group. The only advantage over my 1978--1982 speed block is dust collection. The nice part is the pressure sensitive paper is cheap and you just keep tearing of the paper in whatever grit you want and go

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I use the ROS for initial sanding, then finish with a cabinet scraper or a sanding block. The ROS will remove material quickly, and sometimes that's handy- but for a number of reasons, I've always prefered hand-sanding to any power sander. It works well, is quiet, and isn't actually that much harder than using a sander if you start with the appropriate grit and work up. It's nice to have those quiet moments in the shop during sanding to really look over an almost finished piece, and feel the contours while smoothing it.

Now, if I'm just whacking something together, and just giving it a quick smoothing, the ROS is the way to go.

In any case, I've never had a good result from a quarter-sheet sander. Could be my technique or the products I've used, but they seem to be all noise and no abrasion.

Reply to
Prometheus

Yes, but I asked another question!

Reply to