Sander

Page 1 of 2

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC, DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions? DJ
D Jordahl wrote:

I've had the PC for a few years now. Does a good job, the dust collection is probably as good as anyone's, and disks are available from lots of places. Goferit.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Had the Yellow Decker and it crapped out on me in a few months. Get the PC.
So your going from a yellow decker to a gray decker?????

I'll make it THREE for the PC ROS.
The variable speed model is excellent for scuffing finishes with 320 & 400 when slowed down.

Festool Rotex 150. Excellent dust control. Pricey. 6" Ridgid (really a Metabo, German made) a lot of bang for the buck. I have owned 2 6" Porter Cable ROS's.. one a VS and a regular one. Can't kill 'm since 1986. Almost daily usage. (Brushes and a cpl of bearings...peanuts.)

Rigid orbital sander made in Germany? That would probably explain my post above.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

http://tinyurl.com/c7j4s
All parts interchange with the Metabo/Ridgid. No shortcuts, like bushings instead of bearings...just an orange jacket..thatsit. That Ridgid is a LOT of sander. The two modes are very useful once you get a feel for when to use which one.
Robatoy wrote:

I bought the Ridgid last year after one of the magazines rated it a Best Buy. It's a fine sander, as as you pointed out, it really is a Metabo. I'd buy it again. In fact I did... for my brother's birthday.
For the rest of you: please note neither Robotoy nor I misspelled the brand name. Look at the name the next time you're in Home Depot and you'll see.... Hopefully you won't find too many rigid tools there. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

OPPS!
Wondering if I can blame the misspelling on the spell checker??? Darn it, I cannot. I did mention it was my first Ridgid, so give me some slack. LOL
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

... and if you do... do NOT pick up that dollar bill..it's an old trick.

But for a twenty, I may take a chance.

I might give it a try for a fiver...providing I was wearing my lederhosen.

I bought the 5" Ridgid at the Orange Borg for about $69 (half the price of the 6"). The 5" also got excellent reviews and was rated as a best buy. So far, I have had good luck with it.

Ditto - like the feel, like the price and it does its job.

Do not rule out the Rigid. I just went through the same purchase. Took a look at all of them and decided on the Rigid as it drew more amps. My first Rigid tool, and to be honest, I am surprisingly impressed. Nice long cord, good dust collection, good power, nice case with plenty of storage.
I really do think that whomever designed this, actually put some real thought and research into the sander.
Case in point, they actually put a picture of a sander on the side of the case, as to be able to ID the case as it sits on the shelf. All of the other cases I have I label them as to the contents for easy selection. Dewalt has the model number on the side of the case, but that does me no good.
Even has a picture on the lighted plug. At first I thought it was silly, but the picture really helps when you start cleaning up and have 4 plugs coming out of your outlet.
Small things, but impressive along with the plenty of power and good dust. Only wish I could say good things with the wealth of Norton discs I purchased along with the sander. I think they are designed to clog only after a couple of minutes.
Again it really does seem like a tool that a user designed.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
D Jordahl wrote:

It's probably the best of the litter listed. Unless you plan on using it for only short periods at a time, I'd suggest taking it apart and removing the friction belt that they added to stop the thing. It's nothing but a heater (actually an o-ring around a solid pin).
I have the DW VS and am very happy with it.
I would choose this way:
Narrow it down to hook & loop Narrrow it further by only those with VS Pay attention to the DC connection-(some are oval and require an expensive adapter for your vac) Make sure the hole pattern is standard-(you don't want to be stuck with something you can't get sheets for) Pick the one that feels right when you pick it up
Get the Ridgid. I have used all three and I like this one the best. It is made by Metabo and has an excellent dust collection. max

Flip a coin
I have at DW and PC and rate them about hte same. The DW feels a tab more comfy in my hand, but it may not of ryou.