Sandblast wood etching

Page 2 of 2
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

What are you getting defensive about? He asked a perfectly reasonable question.
If you gave an example of the kind of result you were attempting to achieve it would be very helpful to others who are trying to come up with a recommendation.

Well, actually that's useful information. People can't read your mind. Your original post suggested that it was lack of carving skill rather than high production volume that was keeping you from it.

So how is he supposed to know "what's being done" if you don't tell him. This is rec.woodworking, not rec.telepathy.

If you want people to be helpful you really should provide enough information to allow them to assist you. As is you asked something equivalent to "I need to pull something, how big a rope do I need?"
--John

I think he has every right to get defensive John. JOAT did (IMHO) get more than a bit crotchety in his reply. I went back and read the original post again, and I find it perfectly acceptable in what was being asked. The issue has become that JOAT decided he wanted to take exception to this post and turn it into something that it wasn't. The OP gave enough specific information and made enough specific requests to generate dialog, but JOAT decided and has been followed by too many people who have become equally sidetracked, to demand that he needed to know exactly what the OP was doing. It does not matter. The original post clearly indicated he desired to sandblast in a variety of woods to a dept of 1/16th of an inch. That's plenty of information to advance dialog. I find JOAT's reply to be anything by reasonable.

That is the nature of dialog. Any one of the responders who elected to point out the insufficiencies of the OP could just as easily have offered advice from experience and asked for further detail. That's not the approach that was taken.

Neither would matter with respect to the original post.

Come on John - JOAT doesn't know a thing about the question and to attempt to make his response in any way noble is pure bull. His response was intended to simply chastise and be a wise ass. Go back and read the original post again. You'll see that enough information was given for dialog to ensue. Since when is it more appropriate to make an ass of yourself than to simply ask "are you trying to do..."? Sorry - I can't defend JOAT's response to this thread.

Geezus - sometimes it seems that folks here think too much of themselves and the advice they think they have to offer. The demands they place on others to meet their standards in order to be graced by a helpful reply are something to marvel at. Would it hurt the "knowledgeable" participants here to get out of their little boxes and meet a guy in the middle when he asks a question that does not perfectly suit their expectations?
Man - this whole thread has gotten way out of hand.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net