sample dovetail work

pic at ABPW.
This is a sample after initial setup of my PC5116 Omnijig Dovetail machine. I got a million questions, I'd like to ask you all. The setup dimensions per PC Omnijig manual resulted in non mating pins and tails. The bit in use is a Freud 14degree 1/2" dovetail bit. This is called out in the manual. After tweaking the setup so as to get parts that actually fit this is what I wound up with. The bit distance from the router base was adjusted until a fit was achieved. The boards are 3/4" thick stock precisely. The pins/tails are only 5/16" in length. Is this as it should be? I see no way to change this dimension and still produce parts that fit. From all I read and see, the pins and tails are rather short for a 1/2" dovetail joint.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
pic at ABPW.
I haven't seen it yet.
Bob
i haven't seen it either but i re-posted it. . .hope it gets there this time.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
pic at ABPW.
I haven't seen it yet.
Bob
pic at ABPW.
This is a sample after initial setup of my PC5116 Omnijig Dovetail machine. I got a million questions, I'd like to ask you all. The setup dimensions per PC Omnijig manual resulted in non mating pins and tails. The bit in use is a Freud 14degree 1/2" dovetail bit. This is called out in the manual. After tweaking the setup so as to get parts that actually fit this is what I wound up with. The bit distance from the router base was adjusted until a fit was achieved. The boards are 3/4" thick stock precisely. The pins/tails are only 5/16" in length. Is this as it should be? I see no way to change this dimension and still produce parts that fit. From all I read and see, the pins and tails are rather short for a 1/2" dovetail joint.
========== I downloaded the 5116 manual to see if I could find what you are talking about. The only reference to actual stock thickness that I find is on page 14, where it says '1/2" dovetails for use with 1/2" thick stock'.
I think you are trying to use the wrong bit for 3/4" stock. I have an incra router fence which has not constraints with stock thickness other than the capabilities of the bit itself. The incra manual lists all kinds of variations for a 1/2" 14 degree bit and none of them is over 1/2" thick stock.
Bob
The joint I was referring to was a half-blind dovetail, the reference you allude to is for the thru dovetail template procedure with which you obviously can't use material thicker that your bit depth. I did find a statement , or rather complaint, that the 14degree bits make a lest than appealing depth dovetail. I just expected the bit called out to make a 1/2" depth cut. I guess it was an unreasonable expectation. Thanks for your input.
I downloaded the 5116 manual to see if I could find what you are talking about. The only reference to actual stock thickness that I find is on page 14, where it says '1/2" dovetails for use with 1/2" thick stock'.
I think you are trying to use the wrong bit for 3/4" stock. I have an incra router fence which has not constraints with stock thickness other than the capabilities of the bit itself. The incra manual lists all kinds of variations for a 1/2" 14 degree bit and none of them is over 1/2" thick stock.
Bob
I have an older PC dove tail jig, and with half blind joints, the pins are 3/8 inch long. This works fine with 1/2 inch thick sides and back, and 3/4 inch thick face. It has been a long time (13 years) since I got it, and remember thinking that the manual that came with it was poor. Get a Whiteside bit, it will last about 4 times longer than the Freud. robo hippy
Thanks for the advise. I have three Whiteside 14deg, 1/2" dovetail bite, 1/2" shank on the way. I realized the little 1/4" shank Freud wasn't gonna make it. My pic at ABPW still has not posted even after two attempts. I dunno what's going on there.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -