Sam Maloof Poly/Oil Hardness

I've used it (either oil/poly, or the Sam Maloof canned) extensively on tables (end/hall) that don't get much activity, which have all held up fine for a number of years. I have also used it on two coffee tables, both of which have been used extensively and the finish is holding up well after three or four years use.

In addition, I recently applied a Sam Maloof finish to a hope chest that sits at the end of a bed, gets occasional use as bench, with shopping bags, suitcases, etc., injudiciously applied ... while it is still too early to tell, so far so good.

When I build a piece with this finish for a client, I usually give them a bottle of the oil/poly/wax mixture and tell them to apply it whenever they feel the finish needs to be "refreshed", about every year or so.

Being that simple to maintain, my feeling is that you'll be fine.

Reply to
Swingman

luster/patina

I don't put poly "on top" of anything. The use of shellac on top of a oil/poly finish, as a possible top coat if the need ever arose, was _my_ question.

I admit I don't know the answer ... and it appears I'm not the only one. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I generally stop at five coats .... takes five days in good weather. A PITA, but worth it for the final results.

Here's five coats of Sam Maloof oil/poly finish, and two coats of Sam Maloof's oil/poly/wax on a cherry/walnut hope chest done last December ... picture doesn't do the finish justice:

Swingman

Looks great, and it really is difficult getting pictures that do these finishes justice. Okay, another couple of poly/oil and then a couple of oil/wax it is.

Reply to
damian penney

I think I do. It will look like whatever the top coat is. Why wouldn't it?

Reply to
Toller

Because a piece of cellophane placed on top of sandpaper will look and feel a lot different than that same piece of cellophane placed on top of a grand piano.

Reply to
damian penney

You're missing the point ... the main issue in question is compatibility of finishes.

Reply to
Swingman

The Maloof finish isn't marred by abuse. It's patinated.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Also missing the point if the undercoats are satin and the top not.

Reply to
George