Sam Maloof and Woodline usa? What?

Page 1 of 2

Just received my Woodworker's Journal and there is a good write up in it about Sam Maloof and Jimmy Carter. But reading further into the ad section I see an ad Sam Maloof and Woodline. It him endorsing their router bits. It reads, "Use the same router bits that Sam Maloof uses".
What a crock a crap, Sam would never use this junk. I live about to streets from him in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. and know him well. I have never seen him use a router, most of his work is done from the band saw. I know he's getting old and wonder if he's being talked into these crazy endorsements? I'll have to take a walk up to his studio and ask him.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Evodawg wrote:

Perhaps they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. If he's making a million a year, would you blame him?
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

At 90 I don't really think he needs the money unless it's for his estate. Just thought integrity would play a large part too. Wondering how much his agent is manipulating him? I know he would just rather do his wood thing than get involved with the business of woodworking.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

How is the "Maloof joint" cut then ? I thought that was two matching router cutters.
According to Woodline, they're the people who make his favoured cutter sets. http://www.woodline.com/Downloads/Maloof%20Bit%20Information.pdf
Andy Dingley wrote:

Yeah right, How much did it cost them to have that right? Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I am thinking that since you "know him well" that you should ask him what the real story is. I have a feeling that he probably does use the bits. If he seldom uses a router like you say, it would make sense that he would buy the cheaper bits.
Goin' with Leon on that one. I use a lot of router bits up. I throw them away when they are used or too dirty and gunked up. So I use the MLCS bits and just toss them when I am through.
For my better work, I use better bits.
But for production, how much longer does a Whiteside last than an MLCS in constant use? Especially in light of the fact that it costs 2X, or 3X more than an MLCS? And if Maloof is using the roundover bits for the splats, uprights, legs, rockers etc. there is not comparison with the upper end home bits like CMT and Whiteside, Amana, etc. You can cut a deal with MLCS that you won't believe on bulk purchases.
Would you want a $25 an hour student to stand and clean an expensive bit and touch up sharpen for 15 minutes or so every hard 15 minutes of use, or would you want them to use the crap out of a $4 bit and toss it, then put a new fresh bit in for the next round?
I can see how Mr. Maloof would be swayed...
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not talking about MLCS, the keyword here is Woodline! The WORST BITS MADE IN CHINA. MLSC, the best bits made in China. Its just hard to imagine a man with such high standards in workmanship would endorse such a crap product. Personally I have never used Woodline but I have heard more than enough war stories about their quality and safety issues to stay away from them.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

A quote from you or someone above using your name,
Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read!

You might think about NOT publicly dumping on a company who's product you have not used, not to mention calling into question the personal integrity of Mr. Maloof. Have you even actually seen their product?

Until you talk to Sam and give us the true answer your statements are not going to hold much water. We really do not think that you are Sam's spokesman. We would rather hear what Sam has to say. Perhaps you could get him to come to this group and give us his version of what is going on.
Leon wrote:

Knowing him only as a neighbor and not a personal friend I doubt he even has a computer or would even know what to do with one. He's seems pretty busy with his new studio and workshops. I met him about 20 years ago not knowing who he was. I'm a general engineering contractor and was building a Satellite receive site adjacent to his orange grove. This was his original residents. He was out doing maintenance in the grove and we started to talk. He introduced himself and that's when I recognized the name. I asked if I could see some of his pieces, so we went to this dilapidated barn and in the house. A one hour tour ended up 5 hours with me picking his brain. Needless to say either of us got anything done that day. Anyway, that studio and workshop has been torn down to make way for a new freeway (210) and the state paid to move his historic and basically museum up the hill where I live and its really impressive. He now has a modern looking studio and workshops on about 10 acres. Every now and then I'll see him in the garden and orchard and will stop to talk. Haven't seen him for some time but that's not unusual, he keeps himself pretty busy.
I was just really surprised to see him endorsing THAT product!
Rich Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. yes there really is a Rancho Cucamonga! Old saying in the area. The name was used a lot by the writers of Bugs Bunny Cartoons as a joke. And Jack Benny would also make jokes about the place and put it on the map. Back then 35,000 folks live here, now its more like 200,000, the good ole days.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Whoa!! hold on now. You first indicated that you knew him well. Now you are indicating that you only know him as a neighbor.
Leon wrote:

Hey Leon, FUCK YOURSELF IN THE NECK!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

My computer got the same message as Leon. <G>

I guess you make it all up to suit your needs, as I suspected.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yeah... me too. But somehow I can't imagine that Sam really gives much of a care about the money.... as long as it does the job. Maybe his buddy, Jimmy Carter, got him a deal?

Let us know what he says after you get the facts from him.

Please let us know once you have the FACTS.