Sam Maloof and Woodline usa? What?

Just received my Woodworker's Journal and there is a good write up in it about Sam Maloof and Jimmy Carter. But reading further into the ad section I see an ad Sam Maloof and Woodline. It him endorsing their router bits. It reads, "Use the same router bits that Sam Maloof uses".

What a crock a crap, Sam would never use this junk. I live about to streets from him in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. and know him well. I have never seen him use a router, most of his work is done from the band saw. I know he's getting old and wonder if he's being talked into these crazy endorsements? I'll have to take a walk up to his studio and ask him.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

Perhaps they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. If he's making a million a year, would you blame him?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

At 90 I don't really think he needs the money unless it's for his estate. Just thought integrity would play a large part too. Wondering how much his agent is manipulating him? I know he would just rather do his wood thing than get involved with the business of woodworking.

Reply to
Evodawg

How is the "Maloof joint" cut then ? I thought that was two matching router cutters.

According to Woodline, they're the people who make his favoured cutter sets.

Andy Dingley

What kind/brand of band saws does he use? What sizes? And, he is still making rocking chairs at 90???

Reply to
AAvK

I am thinking that since you "know him well" that you should ask him what the real story is. I have a feeling that he probably does use the bits. If he seldom uses a router like you say, it would make sense that he would buy the cheaper bits.

Reply to
Leon

Goin' with Leon on that one. I use a lot of router bits up. I throw them away when they are used or too dirty and gunked up. So I use the MLCS bits and just toss them when I am through.

For my better work, I use better bits.

But for production, how much longer does a Whiteside last than an MLCS in constant use? Especially in light of the fact that it costs 2X, or

3X more than an MLCS? And if Maloof is using the roundover bits for the splats, uprights, legs, rockers etc. there is not comparison with the upper end home bits like CMT and Whiteside, Amana, etc. You can cut a deal with MLCS that you won't believe on bulk purchases.

Would you want a $25 an hour student to stand and clean an expensive bit and touch up sharpen for 15 minutes or so every hard 15 minutes of use, or would you want them to use the crap out of a $4 bit and toss it, then put a new fresh bit in for the next round?

I can see how Mr. Maloof would be swayed...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Not talking about MLCS, the keyword here is Woodline! The WORST BITS MADE IN CHINA. MLSC, the best bits made in China. Its just hard to imagine a man with such high standards in workmanship would endorse such a crap product. Personally I have never used Woodline but I have heard more than enough war stories about their quality and safety issues to stay away from them.

Reply to
Evodawg

Yeah right, How much did it cost them to have that right? Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read!

Reply to
Evodawg

Let us know what he says after you get the facts from him.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Snip

A quote from you or someone above using your name,

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read!

Reply to
Leon

Yeah... me too. But somehow I can't imagine that Sam really gives much of a care about the money.... as long as it does the job. Maybe his buddy, Jimmy Carter, got him a deal?

Reply to
Robatoy

. Please let us know once you have the FACTS.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

doesn't say what he uses them for.

paperweights?

Reply to
bridgerfafc

You might think about NOT publicly dumping on a company who's product you have not used, not to mention calling into question the personal integrity of Mr. Maloof. Have you even actually seen their product?

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

umm... the PDF is plain and clear bridger.

Reply to
AAvK

What difference does it make what kind of bits Maloof uses?

Worry about your own work.

Reply to
Gus

BILL POUNDS incorrectly quoted and attributed the following quote to me:

You might think about NOT publicly dumping on a company who's product you have not used, not to mention calling into question the personal integrity of Mr. Maloof. Have you even actually seen their product?

--

******** Bill Pounds
Bill.. please read each post carefully and stay on the same page as the rest of us. Especially if you have the damn gall to correct me for something that you incorrectly quote me as saying.

I am perfectly capable of starting my own shit storm here without your help, and have on occasion without trying. I don't need your netnanny ways to admonish me, especially if you are can't find the correct kids to wave your finger at while tapping your foot.

And shame on you.... you think I disparaged Sam Maloof? Read my original post, not the quotes where someone rounds up all the previous post to make their comments. Some people just won't snip.

I think if I were to "dump" publicly on anyone, it could actually be you. But I won't. Just adjust your bifocals, please. Drink some warm milk, and go to bed. Tomorrow will be all better.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Actually, in the "Sam Malooof Woodworking Profile" video (ISBN 0-942391-26-8), he mentions that he has special router bits made for the legs to chair seat joints. I'm guessing the marketing folks have taken a little liberty with their wording. The profiles may be Maloof's, the ones he uses. The Woodline bits - well who knows if he uses theirs or not.

But if Woodline makes a set that is affordable and work at least for one chair - what the hell. Now if Whiteside would . . .

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I have almost only Woodline, probably ten shaper cutters and at least five sets of router bits. I've used the shaper cutters far more than the router bits, but have never had trouble with any of them. The door bit has probably made 30-40 doors from hard oak and hickory and it's still sharp and clean. I also bought my SECO shaper from them at a show and it's fine.

I bought all this stuff several years ago, so maybe QC has slipped, but miine are OK. The guy in charge when I bought and met him at a show, was Phil.

Reply to
Wilson