Salvaging Hard Maple flooring

Hello ~
After "The Flood" (long story) we obtained some salvaged "Horner" hard maple gym flooring from a building recycler ($1.65 sq.ft.) It is currently stacked in my dining room; airing out and acclimating. We have no plans to make this an elegant masterpiece floor - we have big teens, cats and an ever-pooping parrot. I mention this, as I wanted to make it clear how casual we feel about the outcome. Professional woodfloorers might clutch at their hearts at some of our plans, so I immediately apologize to those of you that have made woodflooring into an art.
The wood is in very good condition, the backs of the planks look brand new. Several layers of the polyurethane are loose and peeling and can be picked off by hand (sort of like peeling off skin after a sunburn). Perhaps this is the case because the polyurethane was applied over the original oil based finish.
We plan on planing the surface off of this wood, laying it, and finishing it with pure tung oil cut 50% with citrus solvent (non-toxic for my animals) and finishing off with a few layers of shellac, buffed.
Your thoughts are welcome. (I promise to keep a stiff upper lip.)
I do have some questions to throw out here.
Now that the wood is IN the house, I have noticed that the wood has a musty (mildew?) smell to it, since it was salvaged I can't really say what all it has encountered from the old gym to my house. I live in a humid climate, north of Seattle.
What I am wondering is:
1. Can this mildew spread to my whole house? So far, my house isn't prone to mildew.
2. Will wiping each board with a bleach mix, after it is planed, kill this mildew before installation?
Thank you kindly ~ Lady Planet

Yes
Don't wait until it is planed. Do it now to avoid spreading it.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MyOwnPlanet) wrote:
SNIP

I picked up some used maple flooring about 6 years ago. It, like yours smelled--- musty. I tried to use the stuff for small projects over a period of 2-3 years. Even after 3 years it smelled of mildew. I ended up giving it to a friend who used it for firewood.
Just my little experience.
david
glued up on edge sure does make a great workbench . See mine on my website ....mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

Thank you for your thoughts. Honestly.
Unfortunately, I am too poor to buy anything else now. It's a done deal - can't haul it back, money is gone. (Yeah, I am tree hugger, I thought I was a being a good girl for re-using resources - I am such a dumbass.) *sigh*
So it appears that I overpaid, I will now overwork, and I have introduced gross mildew spores into my house. I can't move the wood anywhere else until the weekend, so we should be pretty darn contaminated by that time.
Wow. Life is good.
(In it's usual twisted and agonizing sort of way.)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MyOwnPlanet) wrote in message

$1.65 is too high to pay for what you're getting and the work you'll have to put into it. New isn't that much more. If it were free, then that's another story. Real Wood floors are made to take abuse. They can always be refinished down the road. Oil based poly or varathane will hold up better and it won't kill the animals...well, move the bird out while you're doing it. I say, do it right the first time.