Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

Make that $0.01 per pound

Reply to
dadiOH

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference between spring steel and tool steel is the temper (purple vs. straw).

Need a whole lot of cheap miter clamps? Cut the thing down the side with a slitting wheel. Sharpen the cut ends so they'll bite into wood.

Reply to
Father Haskell

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after! Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I do that in 2011. Here it's called "Heavy Trash" day (sometimes "Yard Waste" day).

And I call my excursion "foraging."

Reply to
HeyBub

We call it Wednesday. ;-)

Reply to
krw

When I lived in VT, they'd mix it all together and sell it as a "custom" color (usually an ultra-drab brown muck). ;-)

Reply to
krw

I don't have any cats and I have never done that.

But recently, I've noticed that lovely smell of cat urine in my driveway once again. Some male is pissin' on my hedge again. Grrrrrrr! So, I'm thinking about it. ;)

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's better to take it to the recycling center for use. The downtowns use it for painting over grafitti, a VERY worth cause.

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I cruised the trashcans as a kid on the Air Force base. The AF gave the families a weight limit and they tossed all sorts of good stuff into the trash when they moved.

My sole problem with it was that time the yellow jacket crawled into the little teapot I got for my sister. I put it in my pocket and a minute later, it had stung me 4 times on the inside of my upper arm and 5 times on the ribs. Mom rushed me to the hospital in case I was allergic and some brilliant asshole intern dunked me in a tub of ice water. When the doctor came in he screamed "Get that kid out of the ice RIGHT NOW! If he'd been allergic, he'd have been dead before he got here."

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wonder if that idiot in the Suburban gets to keep the 100' of railing which his vehicle processed while he was texting on the freeway...

Shit, Batman!
There was more than one accident. ;)

-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You say that like you think I wouldn't ever do something like that... I Can make my own fishing flies (much better than the imported ones)..I expect my nails would be better too! They would be forged--and formaldehyde free! ; )

Reply to
Bill

You need a "body bag"? (lol)

Reply to
Bill

Pssst.. Just between you and me, I think maybe "custom nails" is where the untapped market is... Ever hammered a custom nail? :P

That ought to leave the punsters something to nail... lol.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I was in the USAF and was a medic ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Seems to recall a texting rail accident around LA.

Yeah:

Lobby Dosser

If you ever leave a vehicle in your driveway it is most likely Marking all the tires. Oh, and all its friends ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Don't look, you'll just encourage him! LOL!!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yes. Still have some. IIRC, I got them from Lee Valley

Why, looky here:

OMG here:

> That ought to leave the punsters something to nail... lol.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Hah! Those are cut from round stock!!! (LOL) : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill