Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

Page 1 of 4
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )
Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter? If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!
Bill

You don't recycle where you live?

Scrap steel brings about $225/ton, or around eleven cents a pound. He'd most likely spend more on gasoline taking to a recycler than he'd get back in scrap value.
On 4/5/2011 7:10 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Come on now. No fighting to be first in line to buy it!!! New one's are going for upwards of $60. This one's already been cut in two for easier storage! Serious offers only (please).
Bill

Out here we can take it to the curb. Reminding me that tonight's the night ...
Doug Miller wrote:

How things change...
When I was a little kid in the early 40s old newspapers brought $0.10 a pound. It was no trick at all to collect half a ton and - believe me - you could buy a *lot* with $10 back then. For example... jack plane brace and 3-4 auger bits hammer crosscut saw. All for $10, still have and use the hammer, brace and bits.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Make that $0.01 per pound

--

dadiOH
____________________________

I recycle where I live, but I've never lived anywhere that the recycling pickup/dropoff would take steel other than food cans.
I'm digging out a 6' steel pole ('70s style satellite dish post) in the back yard, and I have no idea what I'll do with it when it is out of the ground.
--
Drew Lawson | Though it's just a memory,
| some memories last forever
GEEESH! Talk to the solar PV people, especially if you have the mechanism. Somebody will want to build a solar tracker from that one.
-----------------------
"Drew Lawson" wrote in message I recycle where I live, but I've never lived anywhere that the recycling pickup/dropoff would take steel other than food cans.
I'm digging out a 6' steel pole ('70s style satellite dish post) in the back yard, and I have no idea what I'll do with it when it is out of the ground.
--
Drew Lawson | Though it's just a memory,
| some memories last forever
snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) writes:

My locality takes any scrap metal that fits in the recycling bin.
We just recycled the metal parts of a disassembled lawnmower the other day.
scott
Drew Lawson wrote:

If you lived in central Florida you could just put it out by the street and someone would steal it within a couple of hours. I get rid of all sorts of stuff that way, gotta drag an old fiberglass jon boat that someone left on my property down there pretty soon.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That's how I get rid of lots of semi-useless stuff, but in the pick-up sense rather than stealing. Our house is on a common cut-through-the-neighborhoods path, so things with a "free" sign don't last long. (I have an extra string trimmer I need to put out. Any mechanic could probably make it run, but I'm no mechanic.)
We aren't in a wealthy area, but definitely a "not hurting" part of town, so some people seem to make intentional shopping trips around trash day. That's especially true in better weather.
--
Drew Lawson | "But the senator, while insisting he was not
| intoxicated, could not explain his nudity."
writes:

Reminds me, got a couple junker lawnmowers need to go to the curb with a sign ...

Things are tough all over -- today was trash day (we have recycling pick-up every OTHER week) and I noticed a heavily-laden old Chevy pickup truck cruising the cans on my street. Not the first time, either!
(N.B. I've got plenty of partcle board for disposable jigs from a entertainment center somebody left on the street, too -- just not from MY neighborhood. <GRIN>)
said:

Toledo Ohio about late 1960s we'd get an "all you can drag to the curb day" a few times a year. Folks would be out all night cruising neighborhoods with a kid hanging out a window spotlighting the curb.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I do that in 2011. Here it's called "Heavy Trash" day (sometimes "Yard Waste" day).
And I call my excursion "foraging."

We call it Wednesday. ;-)

I cruised the trashcans as a kid on the Air Force base. The AF gave the families a weight limit and they tossed all sorts of good stuff into the trash when they moved.
My sole problem with it was that time the yellow jacket crawled into the little teapot I got for my sister. I put it in my pocket and a minute later, it had stung me 4 times on the inside of my upper arm and 5 times on the ribs. Mom rushed me to the hospital in case I was allergic and some brilliant asshole intern dunked me in a tub of ice water. When the doctor came in he screamed "Get that kid out of the ice RIGHT NOW! If he'd been allergic, he'd have been dead before he got here."
-- From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:
Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
said:

I was in the USAF and was a medic ...

Where I live (Portland, or area), if it's legal (your pipe would be) and fits in the bin it's good to go. If it can't fit in the bin you can take it to the recycler or pay $35 for a pu load at the dump. Our dump won't take fluorescent bulbs or paint; they have to go to a special central recycling center.