Salary-VS-Hourly $ 15.00 hr (50 hrs+) Salary with bonus??? hard decision

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:54:57 GMT, "Owen Davies"

Then you'll have no trouble with reproducing one of these by, say, next weekend? Um, that's design and reproduction _without_ the kit or plans, please. It's nothing complicated. Just cutting wood, right? . http://www.clockplans.com/page5.html
http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk /
http://www.cuckooclockologist.com/thomasclock.htm
P.S: Yeah, I know. That's like asking me to finish a bow saur in less than a year. ;)
---- - Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? - http://diversify.com Web Applications
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:46:45 GMT, "Owen Davies"

Ah, a candidate for the Channel Plus school of programming. Condolences, and, perhaps, let the little woman program for you? <gd&r>
---- - Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? - http://diversify.com Web Applications

Two situations make that statement not always true: compressed work schedules, and flexible work schedules. Tens of thousands of nurses, firefighters, law enforcement and prison officers, etc., are very accustomed to work weeks other than "straight 40". There are CWS and FWS agreements that call for "first 40" scheduling; you can work two 16 hour shifts and an 8 hour shift and be done for the week. Anything beyond that is OT, but the 16 "additional" hours on the first two days are *not* OT.
As to "other Kevin": bail, dude. You're on a sinking ship. I know that $800-1200 per week is hard to give up, but it's easier to find another job before all your co-workers are out there competing for them too.
Kevin

As a general rule a bona fide collecitve bargaining organization (usually that's a union) is allowed to bargain away specific previsions of the wage and hour law. Thus you do have firefighters who are on duty for 40 hours straight, folks who work 4 ten hour days instead of 5 eight hour days and so on.
The wage and hour laws apply by default to those who are eligible and who do not have a collective bargaining agreement in place.
--

FF

correct.
That makes it important to pick who you work for. I'm exempt and get no OT. When I do something a little "extra" or out of the ordinary, I do get little treats though. There is absolutely no obligation on the part of the company. When one of the late shift supervisors takes vacation, I'll fill in for them. The owner will often tell me "take your wife out to dinner" or something similar. Ed
One more thing.
If you have been doing work that is classified by the US Dept of Labor as non-exempt and you have not been paid time and a half for overtime, they can act on your behalf to get back pay from the employer. If you are being required by your employer to log less time than you are working, like by being required to work befor clocking in or after clocking out or if the employer is sheeting onthe timekeeping, then keep your own daily journal.
It doesn't matter if you are salaried or hourly or how much you are paid for the hours you do work. If the work you do does not qualify for an exemption then your employer cannot calim an exemption.
This also assumes that the employer is subject to the Federal Lay which most are.
--

FF

Sounds like, by posting this, you have made the first admission, by admitting there is a BIG problem.
Start working on your way out, immediately. The writing is on the wall. If you were not working so hard you would already see it.
By joining management, will you be opening yourself to more responsibility for the spray room accident that is likely to come?
Life is too short. Be happy.
--
Jim in NC

Sounds like time to find a new job. Salary has it benefits, but you have to be paid fairly for the real time put in, not the 40 hour rate. In this case it sounds more like they are trying to eliminate the overtime pay. What do you get in return? Ed
A fairly simple way to think about it. To go from hourly to salary you would need one (or more) of three things:
1. Benefits
2. A piece of the business
3. Much greater opportunity for advancement.
Other than that, I can't see any reason to take a pay cut.
Montyhp

Kevin Wade wrote: <snip>

Essentially, the Boss is negotiating with you about a new job with fixed pay and variable hours. This IS a negotiation. You might make a counter offer that you could accept the pay and hours IF you owned a piece of the company, had access to the financial records and would share proportionately in any future profits. If this idea is acceptable to the Boss, make sure you have your accountant look at the financials to see just how much of a hole the business is in.
I know a number of people who helped salvage run down operations over the years and did well by sharing in future profits. I also know others who financially flamed out in the process. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Plan B is to find work elsewhere with "regular" hours. You might even try the shop where the door work will be outsourced. :)
Tim
You know the situation and you know what's important to you; both are clear in your message. Now go do what you already know you need to do.
Larry C in Auburn, WA

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:24:02 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

Which is to quietly look for another job without saying a word to the peckerhead he now works for. I just loved that "we'll dump 'em before xmas" part.

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaque responds:

Yeah. Newest issue of Woodshop News has some interesting openings listed, too.
Charlie Self
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
Uh Wade, why are you waiting? Gotta have the roof fall in on ya'?

Kevin:
All the indicators you've spelled out here aim to a business that's poorly run, takes advantage of its employees and is holding a debt that sounds like it's too big to get out from. Salary can be a good move, but with it should come a promotion, additional benefits and usually a raise (when you compare hourly rate to calculated hourly rate (annual salary/2080 hours)). If he's offered none of this to you, I'd suggest he's simply trying to convert your "cost" from a variable (reg time plus overtime) to a fixed (salary) cost so that he can calculate the fine numbers as he winds things down.
That's the bad news
The good news is that if he's going under, it's because of poor management and because somewhere there's a competitor who's doing a better job of running the business and who is taking business away from your (existing) shop. I'd knock on his door ASAP and see if there's room for you there. If you wait until your existing employer sinks from sight you'll be beside the rest of the crew who will also be looking for work. It's time too look out for #1 ....
Good luck Kevin, I hope it all works out for you.,
Rob