Saga of the Sofa Table

Page 2 of 3

Wow, you work fast ... Looks like it is going to be as beautiful as I expected !!
--
Best regards
Han

Cool! Now promise us you won't discolor it. Fume it and varnish it? OK.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/24/2012 7:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Fuming doesn't work well on red oak, not enough tannin ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Teabags are your friend, sir.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/24/2012 10:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I prefer wine with my tannin, thank you ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yabbut, wine will stain, as well as making your table drunk. Who wants a wobbly, wine-stained, reeking table, huh?
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsSofaTable#5789911279201357762
Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsSofaTable#5793729854076858386
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I figured out why you and Leon get along so well. You're both workaholics.
What is it? Computer, woodworking, kiss the wife good night, sleep, repeat?
On 9/29/2012 5:43 PM, Dave wrote:

On the 6th day we play Dominoes.

Kinda figured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knnFXsN2Vgg

+1 !!
--
Best regards
Han

That's coming together nicely. I should do more of the finishing as you go. Looks great.
Mike M
On 9/29/2012 8:11 PM, Mike M wrote:

Thanks, Mike ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I've built wooden things, just not furniture for clients, 'cept a kitchen cart. They specified a product I hate Minwhacked Polyshades. I refuse to use it again unless extremely well paid. I'll spray it prior to assembly, too. <goddamnedRBSanyway>

Hmmm, all the gel stains I've seen have been made with pigments. It has probably been 6-7 years since I last looked, though.
But telling the nuances of a wood finish from a picture on a computer is far from easy, so don't climb too far up on that high horse, eh?
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Yep ... but so far it hasn't stopped you in the least. <g>
--
www.ewoodshop.com

I wasn't talking to you. <g>
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps, if I could accurately judge colors ... you're talking to a man who colored grass pink until he learned to read the label on a crayon. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com

EEK!
Try some dye on another scrap piece. I'll bet you like it better in the grain. More class. Much less IN-YOUR-FACE, knowwhatImean,Vern?
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/30/12 9:59 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Dye is fun to mess around with. It is to stain what stain is to paint.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Last few photos is where the project stands as of this morning. I'll let the top dry in the shop for a few hours, mount it temporarily, install the corbels, then move into the house to dry for a week or so while I fabricate the drawers.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsSofaTable#5794031062170148386