Saga of the Sofa Table

/dry fit just to see how things are > going to go together, or not: > > htt= ps://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsSofaTabl= e#5790001267387179746 > > > ... and next four photos. > > By Jove, I believ= e they will ... ;) > Multi-router..... I hate you. -- -MIKE- "Playing is no= t something I do at night, it's my function in life" --Elvin Jones (1927-20=

04) --
snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to r= eply

A little hate from my camp as well. Have wanted a multi- for too long. Sett= ing a goal to sell enough woodstuff to afford one from the profits by the e= nd of the year. Let the dust fly!

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

fit just to see how things are > going to go together, or not: > >

> > ... and next four photos. > > By Jove, I believe they will ... ;) >

Multi-router..... I hate you. -- -MIKE- "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life" --Elvin Jones (1927-2004) --

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

a goal to sell enough woodstuff to afford one from the profits by the end of the year. Let the dust fly!

I tushed it last Saturday.

Reply to
Leon

Hell, just turn everything 90 on the x axis ... or buy a 3D printer instead. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

a goal to sell enough woodstuff to afford one from the profits by the end of the year. Let the dust fly!

It's been a good investment for the shop, and I would not want to be without it for making chairs (I designed a slick jig for it a few years back for cutting mortises in curved, chair back rails, one of those prickly chair making jobs where you need 12 precision cut parts), but recently I've tossed the idea around of selling the M-R and replacing it with a Domino XL and freeing up some space ... then again, it would be like selling one of my kids, although that's crossed my mind a time or two also. ;)

Of course, the minute you sell a tool that excels at a particular task, orders immediately flood in for items that need that task.

Here's that curved chair back rail jig:

mark the center line of your mortises, set the bit height and depth, and go ... piece o' cake.

Reply to
Swingman

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:53:15 -0500, Leon

Setting a goal to sell enough woodstuff to afford one from the profits by the end of the year. Let the dust fly!

Did it give you a tingling feeling Leon?

Reply to
Dave

Hmm, damned good idea. Unbolt the drop plate, fab and bolt on a

90-degree drop plate, and I'm good to go for M&T-ing.

Buddy, can ya spare ten grand? 'Course, I'd prefer a grant.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>> Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.

Swingman

workaholics.

What is it? Computer, woodworking, kiss the wife good night, sleep, repeat?

Reply to
Dave

Swingman wrote in news:cO-dnSVRDZWt5frNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

+1 !!
Reply to
Han

you go. Looks great.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Perhaps, if I could accurately judge colors ... you're talking to a man who colored grass pink until he learned to read the label on a crayon. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Try some dye on another scrap piece. I'll bet you like it better in the grain. More class. Much less IN-YOUR-FACE, knowwhatImean,Vern?

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

> I figured out why you and Leon get along so well. You're both

On the 6th day we play Dominoes.

Reply to
Leon

Dye is fun to mess around with. It is to stain what stain is to paint.

Reply to
-MIKE-

> That's coming together nicely. I should do more of the finishing as

Thanks, Mike ...

Reply to
Swingman

Last few photos is where the project stands as of this morning. I'll let the top dry in the shop for a few hours, mount it temporarily, install the corbels, then move into the house to dry for a week or so while I fabricate the drawers.

Swingman

I've built wooden things, just not furniture for clients, 'cept a kitchen cart. They specified a product I hate Minwhacked Polyshades. I refuse to use it again unless extremely well paid. I'll spray it prior to assembly, too.

Hmmm, all the gel stains I've seen have been made with pigments. It has probably been 6-7 years since I last looked, though.

But telling the nuances of a wood finish from a picture on a computer is far from easy, so don't climb too far up on that high horse, eh?

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep ... but so far it hasn't stopped you in the least.

Reply to
Swingman

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 11:00:26 -0500, Leon

Kinda figured.

Dave

I wasn't talking to you.