Safety Mask/Goggles Problem

I need some help. I am currently using a dust mask (a molded multi-layer fabric, the cheapest osha approved) and safety glasses when using my shop equipment. The dust mask fits better than the single layer fabric ones and makes a big difference. The problem is when I exhale it fogs up my glasses. As you can imagine this is not good and I can only make so big of a cut holding my breath. I can’t believe I am the first to encounter this and there must be a way around it. I am asking my wife for a respirator type dust mask for Christmas but first I want to know how to cure the fogging issue.

Thanks Daryl

Reply to
daryl1138

I use RAINX anti-fog. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I wear prescription glasses, as well as safety gear.

To avoid misting I do two things; use a rubber half-mask with a decent exhale valve (3M 3000 series) and usually I wear a face shield rather than goggles.

Andy Dingley

Welcome to my world... Dust all over the glasses doesn't help either.

If I could afford one, I'd get a Racal hood. I think someone on here was advocating them several years ago, which is why I looked into them. It's a doodad that provides you with filtered, positive pressure air. Keeps out biohazards like anthrax and sawdust, but they cost as much as a mid-level table saw, and are arguably overkill for woodworking.

Personally, I hope to get a full face shield. I don't know if it will help with the fogging problem or not, but I find safety glasses don't keep all the sawdust out of my eyes, and goggles are worse than nothing because I can't see anything five seconds after I put them on.

Reply to
Silvan

Various ways to cure fogging but these two are cheap and easy. Rub washing up detergent over the inside of the goggles and wipe off. Do the same with a potato, don't laugh, I'm assured that it works. I generally prefer the detergent myself.

John

Reply to
John Manders

the Resp-o-rater jr looks interesting, has anyone tried it as of yet?

?search_id=94145THese look like they would work also but are much more expensive.
?family%5Fid=4923&gift=False&mscssid=FE0FF911A1DD42AF9E4EDE41C2124B6Fscottwww.vmtw.com

Reply to
vmtw

I can see one big problem that has not been addressed here... Your dust mask is not sealing around the nose and that is why your glasses are fogging up. If the mask leaks upon exhale, it most certainly leaks upon inhale!!! A properly fitted mask will not leak. Either try to seal the area around the nose OR get a better mask. If the mask as a metal nose clip, use TWO finger from each hand to mold it to the contour of your nose. Using only ONE finger will sometimes cause it to distort and not give a good fit.

Once you have a better mask AND you think you have it properly adjusted, try this simple experiment... Fully cup your hands over the entire mask so as to restrict airflow from exiting the mask normally. Then exhale... If you notice ANY airflow around the mask perimeter, correct the fitting and try again until you find no place where you feel a stream of airflow. Then you should have a proper seal!

btw, I would stick with a mask that has 2 straps. If it is a 3M mask, you must fit the top strap so it runs to the very top back of your head (above your ears). The lower strap will run directly back. Otherwise the mask will not fit properly. I believe the fitting instructions are on the bulk packages. HTH

Bob

Reply to
Robert P. Bass