Safety considerations in design of gate

I have built some internal gates in my home to restrict that areas my dog gets to. Not having rug rats any longer, and using the gates only in my own home, I designed a Chinese Chippendale looking gate with no concern about the opening size. But a few people have asked for copies, and I'm wondering what safety concerns there may be for kids getting their heads stuck in the openings.
I can't find any publications on the CPSC web site, other than crib slat spacing (2-3/8") or bunk beds (3-1/2"). But aren't there some more general architectural safety guidelines I should follow?

Try the building codes for railings and such. Gates should not be any different than the maximum allowed there. If you are concerned about spacing, electrify them and the kids will soon learn to stay away and spacing won't be a factor.

LOL. I was thinking of razor wire accross the opening, since it wouldn't require batteries or power wiring. But I'll have to rethink--your idea would be easier on the carpets.

If the kids are up and moving on their own, 4 inches should be fine for spacing the spindles. Tom
SNIP

Hi Edwin,
I was going throught the latest posts of the group, soaking up all the knowledge I could and completely in a woodworking mindset when I came across your post (above). It caught me so off gaurd, I nearly fell of my chair, laughing. The family had to come see what the hell was SO funny !
Thanks for a great chuckle,
Dave J.

You're welcome. That is my main job here.
alexy wrote:

Alex, The Consumer Product Safety Commission publishes guidelines (not regulations) for playground equipment. I think they would apply in concept anyway. They state that any openings should be less than 3 1/2 inches or more than 8 inches across the smaller dimension. The idea is that a small child's body will fit through a slot his head won't pass through. The slot needs to be narrow enough to keep his body out or big enough to pass the head through easily. In the case of a gate, I guess you'd want openings less than 3 1/2 inches wide. You can find the CPSC guidelines here: http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/325.pdf
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."