safest method?

What is the safest method to trim the excess from red oak 2 X 2 spindle blanks before turning?
Gary Kunstmann wrote:

bandsaw
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:30:32 -0700, Gary Kunstmann

Mount 'er up and take off the excess with a draw knife. Just be careful of that long, sharp blade.
Or turn 'em with a CNC lathe. ;)
-- The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat. -- John Ruskin
On 03/29/2011 11:30 AM, Gary Kunstmann wrote:

Set table saw blade at 45 degrees away from fence. Lay 2 x 2 on edge on table and flat against blade. Move fence to just touch edge of 2 x 2. Now rip corners off of 2 x 2 by feeding flat against table and fence. You'll come out with a perfect eight sided blank, no matter the dimension of the square blank you started with.

If you mean how do you reduce a square blank to cylindrical, the quickest and easiest way is to mount the wood in the lathe and use a spindle roughing gouge - that's what it's designed to do.

Gotta agree with you on this one. A 2x2 is just not big enough to cause any problems when roughing out.
"Gary Kunstmann" wrote:

--------------------------- A sled and a bandsaw, but for such a small blank, why bother?
Lew

Roughing gouge on the lathe -- IOW, don't bother. A 2x2 spindle isn't nearly big enough for the size of the corners to be a concern.

Handplane
On 3/30/2011 1:13 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Bingo. I've done this many times. Hell of a lot faster than roughing it in on the lathe.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Fastest way to clean up a cylinder on a lathe.

Since some time last summer, when I settled down for some unproductive yet inspiring time with a Raffan DVD, and had the "You can do that and not die?" moment, I'd say a skew chisel.
Once you get the angle against the shadow working, it is just swoop, swoop, swoop, and you have, um, well, a stack of ex-firewood round spindles in the garage waiting for your to do *something* with them.
--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind
| Had no spare
Wow - a DVD ? - I have his book and VCR. But that is telling.
He is something else.
Martin
On 3/30/2011 6:51 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

On 3/30/2011 8:34 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I see this all the time, nowadays. Someone reposts with no reply.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Well, I chuckle inside everytime he refers to the presentation as a "tape," so I assume it is the same. I have two (Turning Wood and Turning Projects, I think), I forget which one enlightened me.

Makes it all look easy.

--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened
In wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice drums and etc, but I thought I'd at least some smoked meat, too<g>
On 3/30/2011 10:48 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I don't really have too many pictures of my barbecuing escapades. It's too hard to hold a camera when I've got tongs in one hand and a beer in the other. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Gouge, with the tool rest set as close as possible to give you the most leverage and the least chattering.
With experience, you can do pretty much the entire turning job with a sharp gouge save for beading or parting. Much more impressive to fire a long, unbroken curly over your shoulder than to make a pile of dust with a scraper.

Gouge, with the tool rest set as close as possible to give you the most leverage and the least chattering.
With experience, you can do pretty much the entire turning job with a sharp gouge save for beading or parting. Much more impressive to fire a long, unbroken curly over your shoulder than to make a pile of dust with a scraper.
Yeah, but what if is his wood is no longer wet?