Safe way to carry dust remote

Page 2 of 2
David Merrill wrote:

One of the pockets of my shop apron. I do have to take it out when doing some kinds of work as it tends to get pushed against what I'm working on and turn on the dust collector inadvertently.
My Long Ranger is giving me some severe grief after having it for 5 years. It is starting to reset itself at the base station and I have to re-sync it it with the remote, often a couple times during a shop session.

When I first got my remote, I lost it frequently. Tried leaving it in the same place all the time, but usually forgot. Then I decided to experiment with a shop apron. Found a $3 canvas apron at HF and clipped the remote to the top left, just about shirt pocket high. I hang the apron on the end of the RAS when I'm done for the day, and it is in plain sight the next time I walk into the shop. I have not lost it once in the last three years. Best $3 I've spent in a long time, plus I never have to look for my Lee Valley right handed tape measure (great product), my pencil, my note pad or whatever else I decide to carry around with me at the time.
Regards, Roy.

My apron carries a 10' tape, 6" scale, pencil, and the remote clipped into a pocket. Those things are always put back too, after use. They are about the only dependable easily found tools.

Velcro it to your apron.
One other thing, be careful and mindful as to where you set the remote, I have come dangerously close to sucking it up while cleaning up the top of my TS.
how about using a Clapper for a remote !! easy on, not so sure about off though :)

Our son-in-law has his attached to a bright orange tennis ball with a screw-eye and nut. At least he doesn't have trouble finding it.
Ron

Don't have a remote for the DC, but do use one for the air filter on the ceiling.. I use Velcro to stick it to the front of the bench where I can get to it easily..
I have a wired remote switch for my DC... It's a plastic outlet/switch box on 12 or 13 feet of cable with a large R.E. magnet epoxied to the back... I just stick it to whatever tool I'm using at the time..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote

A wired remote?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:18:29 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Don't think so.. they do advertise "wireless remotes"..
The DC switch is on the DC motor, I plug the DC into an outlet box with 2 runs of wire, to an inline switch and to a plug.... What would you call it?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Just kiddin' ya mac. Back in the old days, all remotes came on a wire. Then the TV remote entered our culture. And big butts began growing everywhere. Now almost everything is wireless.
My first TV mute switch was a peice of speaker cord wired into the TV speaker. I had an inline lamp switch on the other end. I would flip the switch and it interupted the speaker wire. Blessed silence during the commercials. People thought I was some kinda electronic genius. Then the TV remote came along. I was no longer *smart*. :-)
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:33:41 -0700, mac davis

I saw a really neat idea for a DC on/off mechanism, cheap too. A flexible cord line running around the shop, similar to what they had on a bus or train, trips a single switch near the DC. Very nice remote control, yet no wireless remote device to lose.

A friend of mine did that, with a few washers here and there to bring the twine down to his reach... Seemed to work well for him until he wore out the spring on his shop-made switch.. Of course, he was about 8" shorter than I am, so I used to be scraping my hat on the damn washers all of the time..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
David Merrill wrote:

Use a flat black shoelace or something similar. Cut it where it will be behind your neck and glue or sew a bit of velcro to the ends. They had similar straps on some pacifiers when my 32 year old was a babe.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

How about hanging it from a piece of 2 pound test fishing line?
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:58:34 GMT, "David Merrill"

Mine usually ends up on the Beismeyer fence on top of my table saw, since the table saw gets the most use. I like pocket T-shirts because that's where I can find a pencil quickly, but the pocket is a bit too small to hold the DC remote. Most shop aprons have lots of pockets, I hate to admit it, but I have never washed my shop apron.
I have been using your exact setup for over 10 years with good results. I do have it on a lanyard and hang it on the same hook as my apron. When I get the apron I put the lanyard on and tuck the remote into a pocket on the apron. Never had a problem (or even near problem) doing this. You should get at least one additional remote as a backup in case the one you have fails. These can be bought from x10.com (a bit pricey at $19.95). If you are really cautious and concerned just buy a few remotes and scatter them around the shop.
Marty