Safe way to carry dust remote

Page 1 of 2
Just got my closeted dust collector on a separate 220v circuit and set up to run from an X-10 appliance module plugged into an outlet controlled by an hp-rated wall switch. Pushed the on-button on the little pocket remote and it works!
Next thought was that little, 2 x 1-1/2 x 3/8-inch, plastic remote is going to get misplaced in no time (67 year-old) if I don't get it on a lanyard to hang around my neck. Looked at a leather shoelace and immediately realized what a BAD IDEA that was -- having a strong cord dangling from my neck while working around rotating machinery. So, keep it in my pocket? -- nah, it'll end up in the washing machine or the nightstand. Belt loop? -- nah, don't want that part of my anatomy sucked into a machine either.
So, where do you guys with remotes keep yours without losing it ???
David Merrill
David Merrill wrote: ...

What you mean "without losing it" ???? :)
There's a cubby on the wall near the light switch where it's _SUPPOSED_ to live and to travel to/from apron on entrance/exit. You know how well that works... :)
There's a second in an inviolate location for the not so rare times the other isn't in one or the other of the two aforementioned places.
Actually, the "system" works well (enough, anyway) when I'm actually using the shop consistently because then I am in the habit of using the apron and so on. It's the dash in to whack off a tubafore for some odd job and tear out again w/ it and a handful of other stuff that it gets laid down on whatever convenient surface and subsequently covered up (or worse, in the other stuff and carried completely away :( ) that's the real problem....
Now for the other wondrous alternatives... :)

I saw a guy who had it clipped to the bill of his ball cap, along with a few other little things.
He wore a hat 24/7 though and had different ones for different tasks/occasions. They were like Mr. Rogers' shoes and sweaters.
He walked in the door to the shop, immediately swapped caps from the rack. Same when he walked out.
He had one for driving the car, driving the truck, driving the tractor/mower, one for the house, one for work, one for church, he may have slept in one for all I know. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I took the remotes for my DC and my stereo system and I attached magnets to the back. I stick them to metal a plate that I screwed to the ceiling (basement shop) in the center of my shop. When I carry them around I stick them to machine I am using at the time. Works OK but they still end up in the bedroom, laundry room, stuck to the fridge. etc.
Larry C
David Merrill wrote:

Get one of those carriers people use to strap an iPod to their upper arm. They're secure but also out of the way, and it's not like you're going to forget it's there like if you put the remote in a pocket.
Best system I worked with was having three remotes, on a short chain at three different strategic points in the shop. Needless to say, one was never more than a step or two away, could always find them and the extra step or two was welll worth the never-lost concept.
For me right now I simply crawl over three rows of stored machinery, hang down and stretch as far as I can to reach the fricking (non- magnetic) swith on my Griz DC that is about one inch off the floor. I keep meaing to rewire that sucker into a mag switch at least at hip height if not on a leader.

SonomaProducts.com wrote: ...

My intent was/is??? to put current-sense switch on the equipment and eliminate the remotes--but since that was >10 years now, I don't suppose it'll happen... :(
David Merrill wrote: ...

OK, be right witchya' --- ok, now remind me, what was it you asked for that sent me in here????
David Merrill wrote:

--
Froz...

I bought my remotepower device from Grizzly. It came with 2 remotes. Each had a key chain hooked to them. I have one hanging on my tablesaw and one on a nail hanging by my jointer which is close to the various dust collector direction valves I have piped to various machines. WORKS for me!!!

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4171 (20090619) __________
http://www.eset.com
"Dave" wrote

awhile where the remotes all hung off the ceiling.
The other thing I saw was to tie a big peice of orange safety tape off of it. Ya know, that type of stuff used at crime scenes and traffic accidents. That way you just look for the dash of color against the dust/tool background.

do what the middle school my wife taught at did.
tie it to a toilet seat.

dust collector on or off! ;_)
David Merrill wrote:

Use a safety "break away" neck lanyard. See (watch for word wrap):
(Amazon.com product link shortened)017W1PLS&linkCode=asn
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Andrew Barss wrote:

It looks to me as if it separates in the middle of the lanyard (the part that would be at the back of your neck).
Hmm - seems like you could make one of those from an ordinary lanyard and a couple of pop beads (remember those?)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

(Amazon.com product link shortened)017W1PLS&linkCode=asn
Click on the images below the default image. It shows the break-away as a plug and socket. Many colors tool

ever tool I just finished with, usually on a crank or handle of some sort. When I need it I just go to the last machine I used it with and there it is. Second one set up same way hangs on wall by DC, I think the battery may still be good.
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:58:34 GMT, "David Merrill"

Mine is larger, but I keep it clipped to the outside of my back pocket. I never sit in the shop, and it's out of the way. Once in a while I forget to take it off before leaving, but that is quickly discovered as soon as I sit down elsewhere. Of course the shop is in the basement and I end up not sitting down until I'm in my office on the 2nd floor. Tried the front pocket where I could see it, but I was always bumping it on or off by accident.
When I take it off, it's either left on the workbench or TS, whichever has less crap piled on it.
-Kevin
I have wrapped my vacuum remote in yellow tape so it is easy to find (I'm only 52, but I get what your're talking about)
My remote system is a Woods, and the button box has a key chain from which it hangs up. I try to leave it in a consistent location - for me it is on a hook on my router table. I can usually find it quickly. My shop is too small for a DC unit, but I use it on a shop vac.
btw I have recently seen remote control appliance controllers at WalMart that are listed as 15 amp for under $25. One is a single outlet, another is 3 outlets, with 3 remotes of 3 buttons.