Safe Stop

But you indicated none of that in your original post. There was no sign you had done any research and you didn't ask for opinions.
--
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
- Margaret Thatcher
"Wayne J." wrote in message

Next time specifically request "civil" opinions ... while you still may not get any, you will at least have a leg to stand on when whining.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

;~)
"Leon" wrote in message

Hey, ya gotta be TOUGH in this 'hood! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Looking forward to the music at the park and the wine, popsicles, cards, company,,,,,
Would you like to see my new Pinner????
SNIP

not
SNIP
LOL! :-) Mike.

Man, this is a tough crowd.
Anyways, thanks everyone for your opinions. I am going to explore it, along with Delta and a couple of others. SWMBO is getting real concerned with my old saw, so maybe she will let me spring for a "safer" saw.
Wayne

Ywah, it can be. Lots of us like to yank yank chains. ;~)
Please do stick around as we can use some input from the tool guys with knowledge of the products.

And now that I know that you are very familiar with the Unisaw, I can whole heartedly recommend you continue to consider it. There should be no surprises. If you would consider the little less traditional TS's take a look at the Laguna's also. They are in the PM66 and Saw Stop price range. Still the SawStop should prevent serious injury.

I will stick around, thanks Leon.
I am not familiar with Laguna here in Canada, I will have to go see them at the next show.
I searched them on line and I like what I see so far.
They ship to Coguitlam BC at the end of each month for customer pick up. That isn't a stretch to go and pick one up if I order it.
wayne
Wayne J. wrote:

So what is existing saw?
Lew

I think he said an old Rockwell.

9" Rockwell 6201B (made in Guelph Ontario, circa 1975). Good saw. Came with two extensions and round fence rails . The rails had the ability to be placed so that the extensions were all on one side or one on each side of the blade. Putting them all the way to the right gives you a 48" rip setting. It was the only saw up here that did that other then the Unisaw back then.
Problem is it only uses round rails, so I can't put a Beismeyer on it. (crud).
It is powered by a 220VAC 1.5 HP Marathon motor off of a AB paddle starter. The guts of the saw are identical to the 10" contractor saws. The cabinet, handwheels and top were different.
Wayne
Wayne J. wrote:

Been there, neat town.

Sounds like you have at least 90% of a new saw already in place.
Time to spend some creative time on the thinking chair.
Couple of questions?
What is req'd to convert to accept a 10" blade?
Would you consider a UniFence?
If so, what would it take to fit a UniFence extrusion on the front of the saw?
Lew

I have chewed on that one for years. I think it may be as simple as mounting the front rail using curved spaces that would fit in the groove that runs along the front of the table top. As for a 10" blade, the is not enough upwards clearance before it would hit the front or the back of the insert hole. I thought about making a different insert, but again, same issue.
the 9: has been great for the past 10 years, before that I had a 34-450C Unisaw with the 3 HP 220VAC (before they started adding all the other numbers to the models). I sold it when we moved as I didn't think I would need it anymore................silly silly silly............
My workshop would easily handle the saw as it is 12' x 20'. this way I can rip or cross cut a full 4'x8' piece without any effort.
No, it will be a new say. I just need to sell it to the boss
wayne\
Wayne J. wrote:

That's relatively new Wayne. Did you see my post about the Delta 1160 I bought at an estate sale?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Nope, probably while I was gone. I don't know if I have ever seen one. I am thinking hard, but that rally hurts. I am going to go look through my old manuals.
A lot of US saws were never sold in Canada as we had our own foundry in Guelph. Our models were usually the same.
I am doing a search on the web for some pictures to jog my memory.
I love the old tools. It is nice to rebuild one and show it off later.
wayne
Wayne J. wrote:

Agreed. I've got a fair number of old hand tools, but the 1160 is my first old power tool. I hope I'm not getting addicted :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Now I remember it. I just saw a picture at http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?idW88
My ex-boss had one. I liked the looks of it, I just never liked the idea of holding my wood at an angle when it was cutting.
I love the old machines
wayne

Enlighten me. I'm not familiar with that saw. Does it not have a flat table front edge? I'm curious about why a biese won't mount. All the old saws used round rails with special spacing shoulder bolts assemblies that had a radiused section to mount the rail. But, for most saws, to mount a Biese the only requirement was to remove the guide rail and mount the flat rail directly to the front edge.