Safe Stop

Page 4 of 5
An alternative is Shop Fox. They are the retail outlet version of Grizzly. Pretty much the same machines with different looks.
RonB

BTW - We have been to the Grizzly Springfield store. If you haven't been to their outlet, by all means do. It is the ultimate big-boys candy store.
RonB

Wayne J. wrote:

Wayne, let me give you a helpful answer. This is the result line from an advanced google search on "sawstop":
Results 1 - 10 of 685 for "sawstop" group:rec.woodworking
Would you like for us to repeat all of the previous posts, or just the ones that pertain to what you are asking? Wouldn't it be easier just to look at the 685 previous posts on the subject in this NG, then if there is something that has not already been covered, you could ask about that?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Why can't a person do a little research before asking a question that's already been answered a hundred times?

To be quite honest, I don't believe that. If you had done any research on the SawStop in Google Groups, you would have found plenty of genuine opinions, both positive and negative.

A gentle suggestion that you should do a little research on your own *is* a "genuine opinion". If you don't like it, don't read it.

You're probably not the only one.
--
Regards,
Doug,
wrote:

SNIP
SNAP
5

It may have been a flawed suggestion at one time, but considering the ease with which one can get most information these days, it makes complete sense to try to find the answer yourself first. Any experience at all on the internet teaches most people that it's essentially lazy for one not to try on their own first.
As well, it could be considered self-preservation. If the OP had posted something like, "I did a Google search but didn't come up with any information" then he'd have been much more well received. Of course, if he'd tried that line with the fact that he'd Googled Sawstop and found nothing, then he'd have been laughed out of town.
Upscale,
I must have mis-stated my point. My point is that this newsgroup IS a valid first point of reference for the question. I do not believe it is correct that you must first research ANOTHER source prior to asking here.
By that reasoning - when he searches on google he will first have to have tried somewhere else???
I simply can't agree that this newsgroup isn't as good a place as any other to start a search - it is after all a better gathering of expertise and wisdom than any other "repository" - albeit some of us haven't taken their supository some days...(yes - me included)
Please - do NOT confuse this point with my undoubted respect for the skill, knowledge and general good nature of wreck participants - I GREATLY value all contribution (even those that are wrong / opposite to mine...)
I think Google has masterminded some sort of cultural mindset retraining - perhaps even using nefarious chemicals, to position itself as the pre-eminant suppository. (repository?)
Personally - I find Google pops up as much bullshit as valuable information - and who says it is tru/accurate anyway? Far better to go to my local pub (newsgroup) and ask all the pissheads. Oops I mean wood-dorkers...
Now as a long term reader - I know a lot of threads have been flogged stupid, but the newbie doesn't - and has just as much right to make a newsgroup his first reference point as he does the communist manifesto or Google....
By denying them the right to address the denizens of the wreck unless it is a NEW question, or RESEARCHED question, removes one of the major benefits and purposes of the newsgroup to begin with....
My background just does NOT lend itself to thinking of the latecomer (google) as the best source of reference. I was emailing and newsgrouping back before zmodem, and it is just natural for me to feel that the better facts, skill-set, resources are available in newsgroups. As another point of view, some people when they fire up a pc, nerd-dom path, find newsgroups PRIOR to search engine technology and so on. (Oh - and I conceed the point thouroughly that some are just lazy - don't doubt that at all... - and that can grind - as I am sure it does on Doug, CW, JT et al. It grinds on me also...I try to clamp the mouth/fingers shut.)
I hope that better reflects my thoughts (yes at least 2 of em) on the subject... (smiles)
Anyway - don't stop contributing - you are on my highlight list - not my dissapear me list :-)
With the greatest of respect,
Mike Brisbane Aus.
wrote in message

I guess we're just going to have to disagree then. As far as Google goes, there's plenty of other online sources to get information, it doesn't have to be Google at all. It's just that since most (many) consider it the pre-eminent online search engine, it's the first name that pops into my mind when I consider finding many types of information. I'm reasonably sure, (much to your chagrin), that "google" has or will remain a fully recognized word meaning the equivalent of "search engine" long after Google the company has retired into the annals of history.
However, I digress in my argument. I'm old enough to have plenty of experience in the time before internet when the quickest way to find information was to ask someone. If that didn't work and you wanted to invest the time, you went to find test on the subject. These methods are no longer the quickest way to an answer. For simple questions, an online search is easily the fastest method. Placing the question in a newsgroup means that person has to wait for someone to respond. It's not nearly as fast and the answer is much more subject to being "coloured" by the personality of the respondent.
I can only assume that someone who couldn't be bothered to put in a small amount of time to get a quick answer feels that it's easier to use up someone else's time to than use their own. These days, that just doesn't cut it. I know that many feel as I do, that if you want information, then be prepared to make at least a token effort to find the answer by yourself first. At the very least, come forearmed with a little information you've sourced out so you can contribute something on the subject or at least ask intelligent questions as you mine the users here for information.
I'm sure some will consider my opinion to be utter garbage, but if I or someone else can't deal with that sentiment, then is not a place you want to be. Many might consider this discussion the making of a mountain out of a molehill, but the bulk of the messages in any newsgroup is discussion like this one.
Ok, I'm off my soapbox. It's someone else's turn. :)
Snip

Ah, but you see thats why the Wreck/ng's are simultaneously frustrating and marvellous. For some its "Mark Conversation as Read" for some it's "Ignore Conversation" and for some it is "Take bait and chew down hard". Me - I am guilty of em all....
Ups, I have no issue with you having a different opinion to me - I am just upset that you didn't answer my original question about grounding dust collection systems...
Huh? Wassat? The yellow one? Oh damn I took two blue ones. Grumble
Mike Brisbane Aus.

You can easily find that information on the Prodigy or CompuServe discussion groups. Works best if you have a fast 1200 baud modem.
Snickle :) With ymodem I spose For dem bigger packets
wrote in message

Would that I could, but considering my non-existent experience with dust collection systems, I'll have to defer to others.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com says...

Exactly.

Amen. Actually, I though that was why we hang out in theses places.
To help and to learn.
RonB

Precicely.

Well there is a refreshing different point of view that makes a lot of sense.
snipped-for-privacy@why.spam.me.bigpond.dot.net.au says...

What makes you think that I'm attempting to set myself up as "the sole arbiter of where one commences a search"? Get a grip, Mike, all I did was suggest that since the SawStop has already been discussed here numerous times, he should check Google Groups to see what's already been said.

Again -- if he wants opinions on the SawStop, the easiest way of finding them is to look at the opinions that have already been expressed.

And where did I tell him anything even remotely like "all the answers you need are there, now piss off"??
Relax, have a cold beer, and calm down.
Doug,
Mate, I am relaxed. I went to some length to mention a number of times my respect for the group and posters - and I did not intend at all that you take my blathering as a personal attack. It was an attack of the concept. I unreservedly apologise if it came across otherwise.
Mike
says...

Thanks, Mike, no prob. If you're ever in the States, and passing through Indianapolis, look me up.
--
Regards,

Wayne, don't give up too soon. I'm a new woodworker (maybe not in years, but in number of hours spent on it as a hobby) and I've received way more advice from this group than I could ever hope to contribute in return.
There are some who can be abrupt in their response, but keep in mind that in a newsgroup nobody owes you an answer. If someone takes the time to type out a response to your question, that's an act of generosity.
Plus, I think if you look back at your three questions, they truly have been answered in previous discussions. That's why so many people just respond with "Do a Google News search".