Safe Stop

Page 1 of 5
http://www.sawstop.com /
Is this for real? has anyone actually used one? how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety features?
wayne

Here we go again...
SawStop has been discussed _to_death_ on this newsgroup. Please do a Google Groups search to find the previous discussions (and there have been MANY). If, after reading all that, you still have any questions, then come back with them.
--
Regards,

sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a few questions

Absolutely
Yes. Several posters to this group own the TS and LeeValley uses them in their stores.

From reports by users and magaaine articles the saw is top notch.

wayne
Leon wrote:

As does Woodcraft. And the safety feature was tested (inadvertently) by a student in one of our classes - worked great, only a bandaid was needed.
They're getting very popular with commercial sites and schools. A local large cabinet shop has 15-20 of them and claims to have already saved several fingers.
-- It's turtles, all the way down

You asked one dumb question and posted a link. Periodically, the same simple question gets posted on other (non woodworking) newsgroups too. Seems to be an underground advertising medium.
wrote in message

Dumb to you, a civil question to me.
again, sorry I bothered you.

The question has come up many times, so most people will just ignore you since you could have found out the information by googling if you really wanted to know. Others like to be helpful and will respond because they enjoy it. And then there is Doug... He has nothing better to do than respond, but instead of being helpful, he is nasty. I don't even like to think about what he is compensating for.

in to woodworking.
Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.
thks for the help wayne
<...snipped...>

A Rockwell cabinet saw IS a unisaw, no?

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be. Delta was having QC problems with the saw and their have been many reports of new Unisaws arriving with broken trunions. For a while Delta blamed the shipping company. Either way, Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic would probably be equal or better alternatives. FIY.
The SawStop is probably be a better alternative but will cost more. The SawStop has been around for 5 or 6 years and has been in production and for sale for 2 or 3 years. "Some" early models were exhibiting false triggers however those that reported this have also indicated that the SawStop people worked with them to resolve the problem. One of the problems was that a one of the users in a shop of users caused false triggers because of the electronic watch that he was wearing IIRC. Apparently some type of diode was added to the electrical circuit to solve the problem, IIRC it was also reported by the same owner that the saw triggered again with the same user but this time it saved a trip to the hospital. One of the most common questions about the saw concerning the ability to trigger is if the saw will trigger with the power off. What if the electricity goes off and the lights go out while sawing? Apparently the saw still has the ability to trigger if the power is lost or if you turn the power swath off and the blade is still spinning.
"Leon" wrote in message

According to Frank B., and everything I've seen myself backs him up, any "UniSaw, pre 2003, and with the marathon motor", and you will be getting what us old-timer's would expect when buying a "UniSaw".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Ok, I'll go with that, however the ones with the broken trunions were older than the 2003 and later models.

older unisaws, trunions and starters. The starters we used in Canada were prone to failure on the contact points. The trunions coould just macigally snap. We used to believe it was QC. The later generaion ones were better. Still my favorite, but the SawStop is getting my attention. I still have all 10 fingers, but I have had my share of scares.
Wayne

Thanks Wayne,
I really did not dream this stuff up. LOL.

So Wayne, elaborate. When did you work for Delta, and in what capacity. What starter are you talking about. Where did you get your Unisaws. When you speak of later generation, what would you be talking about in time frame.
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:56:31 GMT, "Leon"

Not true. Quote your source. We've been through this before, twice.
and their have been many reports of new Unisaws

True, quite some time ago. Any damaged units were replaced under warranty. Most discovered at the distributor, did not go to the customer. Has nothing to do with the quality of a unit delivered in good shape.
For a while Delta blamed the shipping

For very good reason. Trunions were breaking from a specific tip over which generally happened on shipping docks during LTL shipment.
Either way, Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic would probably be equal

Today's Unisaw is equal in design to any Unisaw going back to the mid eighties. What has changed is the location of assembly, the fact that some of the machined grey iron is from the orient and the fact that the motor is WEG from Brazil. Because of this I would prefer a pre-2003 unit, however, I wouldn't say that the WEG motor is less powerful, efficient, or reliable than the Chinese motors used on most imported saws. I would simply prefer Marathon. And of course PM66 is excepted, not in the same class with say, Grizzzly and by design different type of trunion/yoke assembly

Texas Tool Traders. They told me this when I was compairing a Unisaw to a Jet. The Unisaw sat on the show room floor with a broken trunion. A Delta rep e-mailed me direct concerning this issue in so much that Texas Tool traders could not repair the saw because of a trunion BO status. The rep assured me that he would look into resolving the matter.

The broken trunion on the saw that I saw was about 6 years ago.
Frank normally I would agree. But, how is it that the brand saw that arrives damaged is the Delta Unisaw? I read on this news group from a respected poster that Delta later admitted that the trunions were being improperly torqued. A DAGS should show you that comment if you are interested. Regardless, if a particular brand tool is having a problem with transportation or manufacturing, that is a QC problem and it is that brands problem until the problem is resolved.
To be fair, there have been many reports of Grizzlys being delivered tipped over and up side down. Oddly many reportedly had only superficial damage.
Perhaps Delta would not be in the shape it is in today had corporate greed not entered into the equasion and continued to deliver a compeditive quality product.
I really have nothing to gain one way or the other concerning the problems Delta is having or has had. I own and have owned a few Delta tools and strongly considered the Unisaw to be my first choice when buying 6 or 7 years ago but then I went to the local dealer and listened to his comments, the reps comments, and the posts on this group, and then directly compared the Unisaw to the Jet cabinet saw, well you get the picture.
I am not saying that the Unisaw is a bad choice, again I am only saying that the Unisaw is not what it used to be and the QC has not been up to par with the competition.

Why were the other brand saws not being tipped over like the Deltas? Was Delta being targeted? This went on for a few years IIRC. Why was packageing not improved to prevent this? QC does not stop at the factory door. Perhaps equipment built to withstand a boat ride holds up better on the docks.
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:11:21 -0500, "Leon"

Not doubting what you say, however, has nothing to do with "quality problems" at Delta. Has a lot to do with "quality" problems with LTL shippers.
The established process was for the distributor to file a freight claim, return the unit, and receive another. All at Delta's cost. Why this was not done in the case you describe is beyond me. Most others just sent them back.

I've tried to fiind it and asked you to verify. Last time you posted for all to see that it was Charlie Self. If so, Charlie should corroborate. Now a respected poster may have said it, but I've told you many times it is simply not true, so the respected poster had to have been misled. If you could lead me to the source, maybe we could clear this up. Until then, I will continue to challenge your statement whenever you post it. I will not challenge your opinion of Delta, nor your choice of equipment, nor any recommendation you make to others, as long as no statements are made that I know to be not factual or not relevant today.
As one who lived through the entire ordeal of broken trunions from start to finish, I probably know more than anyone else about the issue.

wonder why whenever anyone says they might buy a Delta you bring it up like it is a current problem. Look, you can have your opinion about what you prefer as can anyone, but it is disingenuous to continue to post about "quality problems" or "improper torque settings" over and over when it is not true.

Granted, however, absolutely nothing to do with your statements above.

Great, you evaluated and made an informed buying decision. That is everyone's right.

That (QC up to par with the competition) is your opinion and you have a right to express it, just please don't use untruthful statements or issues of another time that would not be relevant today to support that opinion. I would appreciate that.

Don't have a clue

It was. Package was ISTA certified (do you know what that is?) both before the problem started and was tested a number of additional times as the pack was modified. It never failed a truck vibration, inclined ramp, or straight drop test as requried to be ISTA certified. That's what caused so much delay. We couldn't figure out what was happening until we purposely started to try to destroy them. In essence bacame an LTL shipper to see if we could simulate the problem.
QC does not stop at the factory door. Perhaps equipment

The company is responsible for the product until delivery is accepted by the distributor and continues to be responsible for the product in some manner for its life. The factory manufacturing quality is part of that responsibility and had nothing to do with this problem.