Safe router speed for larger bits??

Is there any published info, on safe router speeds for different size router bits? Or any "local knowledge"?
I have a Ryobi RE600 router that a friend gave me. I have it in a router table. The problem is the speed control is non functional. He had taken it to a local repair shop, and was told it needed a "magnetic" bearing. ????? And the guy couldn't get it. Looking at a parts list, they show a speed control unit, which I suspect is the problem, however it is over $100. and I don't want to invest that much in the router. I am thinking of using rail and stile bits, with a diameter of 1 3/8" and verticld raised panel bit with a diameter of 1 1/8"
Any thoughts on this? Thanks

The recommended speed for a bit that size is 18,000 rpm. Up to 1", 25,000. That said however I think I spin my rail and style bits at top speed.
sailor wrote:

Could you not buy an external router speed controller?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The external speed controllers, say they are not for "soft start" routers. I was wondering if there was a controller that would work. Has anyone used one with a soft start router? I wonder if it is not recomended, because of the chance of starting the router with the controller set at a slow speed?
Any thoughts? Thanks

With your speed controller not working, does you soft start still work?
Leon wrote:

Yes, the soft start does work.
Does anyone know, what the "magnetic core" does? Is it for the speed control?
sailor wrote:

If you know the part see if these guys can supply it? http://m-and-d.com/ryobi_tools.html
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Yep they have it...$3.90
http://tinyurl.com/yxnfjm
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

They have it. "Only" $104

sailor wrote:

I'm on about the bearing at $3.90
I'd buy this part and take a chance to see if the bloke that looked at the router was right?
After all $3.90 is peanuts.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Just talked to Ryobi Tech support, and they said it was most likly the speed control circuit. $104. :-( Wis I had a remote speed control to try.
Just talked to Ryobi Tech support and was told it was most likely the speed coltrol circuit. $104 :-(
Wish I had a remote speed controller to try.
sailor wrote:

If that is the case then I would strip it down and see what was at fault circuitry wise,these boards only contain readily availble components like resistors,caps,diodes.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

"sailor" wrote in message

http://72.14.209.104/search?q che:1SFpHQ0h3ukJ:www.newwoodworker.com/rtrbitspds.html+%22router+bit+speed%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
Not that I would do anything but take with a grain of salt and as a rough guideline.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Check with the manufacturer if you can, but IMHO you're not really pushing any limits at full speed for a 1 3/8" bit.
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin