"safe" bookcase dimesions?

Make sure that if the bookcase is on carpet that you load it with books BEFORE you attached it to the wall; it make all the difference in the world in regard to its' stability. I'm in Southern California so I must attach just about everything that might tip in an earthquake, but it should be a standard practice wherever you are.

manzanar

Reply to
<manzanar

I had to put a couple "shims" in front of my bookcase. The carpet stripping around the perimeter of the room tends to make the bookcase tip forward. Filing cabinets should be secured at the top too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Shimming the front is one option. Cutting a 3/8 x 1-1/2" relief at the back is another. I favor the relief for any shelves or cabinets that will be placed against the wall in a carpeted room.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Although if you ever move it to a room with hardwood instead of carpet, it's a lot easier to undo shimming the front than it is to undo the = relief cut.

Davis Eichelberger

Reply to
Davis Eichelberger