Safari

Page 4 of 5

I'm guessing his online accent makes it sound like "plonk". :)

Could it be an irregular verb? Plonk, plunk, plank?

Yeah, all of them do, just like all the car brands work. Some are more pleasing to one group or another, that's all.
I ditched Safari after a couple of days because it wouldn't do all that I needed. It does what it does quite well. It just doesn't do quite enough.
Life's like that.
J. Clarke wrote:

Are you aware of the latest security threat?
<http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/updates/bulletins/200812_oob.mspx
I don't mind IE. I have to use it at work, and it just works fine for me. Make sure you've covered yourself as stated above.
I've always subscribed to the "fringe user, off the radar" security method at home. When all the script kiddies were attacking Outlook and IE, my lesser known stuff was rarely, if ever, a target.

Reading this on Xnews running on wine for Ubuntu Linux 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex). Webbrowser is Opera. Using Eudora for an Email client on WinXP but switching to Thunderbird for cross platform. Ubuntu is rapidly becoming my default OS. For a nonemotional analysis of why there needs to be a Windows alternative go to http://www.winehq.org/why which gives a balanced arguement to all this.
Jerry
ALurker wrote:

Well, except that that "balanced argument" shows that the author doesn't know Windows all that well.
"Wine makes it possible to take advantage of all the Unix strong points (stability, flexibility, remote administration) while still using the Windows applications you depend on."
I'm not going to comment on "stability", which is a hot button for a lot of people, or "flexibility" which is a matter of opinion, but Windows has had remote administration for more than a decade now.
"Wine makes it possible to access Windows applications remotely, even if they are a few thousand miles away."
While this may be true you can do it with out of the box Windows too, so it is not a "benefit" of WINE.
"Wine makes it economical to use thin clients: simply install Wine on a Linux server, and voila, you can access these Windows applications from any X terminal."
I can access Windows applications from Linux boxes without WINE so again it's hardly a "benefit".
"Wine can also be used to make existing Windows applications available on the Web by using VNC and its Java client."
That can also be done with Windows without using WINE.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

;-)
do with it.
--
Froz...

2 feet longer than a d00tchie.

10% overlap. Not everyone is so pure in their beliefs. MS enjoys much deeper market penetration such that it becomes remarkable, for example, to note when someone is *not* using Windows on their desktop. That's a simple fact.

"Standard", as in ubiquitous, as opposed to "proprietary". Proprietary hardware didn't do so well. Witness Sun OpenSPARC, their open source hardware core, apparently a last gasp seeking relevance for their processors. Mac dumped proprietary hardware and interfaces to become what it is today, just another PC clone with minor benefits and differences.
It is and has long been politically incorrect to slam the underdog, just as we have the Special Olympics. At some point, though, products have to reach their own maturity and be counted on their merits. I think it's fair to say that both the Mac and Linux are now mature products. There is no more "wait and see". They are what they are, and if you're into counting, they're the "also rans", the best of the rest. I didn't decide this, nor did Bill Gates. The market has voted and Wintel won by a landslide. For whatever those merits might be.
MikeWhy wrote:

I don't know if you're talking hardware or OS.
As OS goes, MS has been transparently and ineptly trying to copy Mac OS for 25 years. And as you put it, "that's a simple fact."
--

-MIKE-

?! Do you mean with a mouse centric GUI? API? Drivers and peripherals interface? File systems? Which part of the OS?
1983, 25 years ago, was the hey day of MSDOS, the birth of the IBM PC, and the beginning of the end for CP/M. The Lisa came out about then, and crashed and burned. Windows and the first Mac appeared shortly after. Desqview was still in the running (briefly), and if you ask me, it was the better product and closer to Windows than the Mac's one button mouse. If you're talking about the mouse and the GUI, you'll have to credit not Apple and Mac, but Xerox PARC.
I have a long history of buying Apple products, all of them harbingers of things to come, but years before the world was ready for them, and years before the technology was available to support the vision. The Mac, Newton, and even the original ipod all led the way. This is to Apple's credit. What they don't have, though, is dominant marketshare. This is the simple fact.
MikeWhy wrote:

Yes, the interface. They have always lagged behind and copy Mac... and still do.
There you go with market share again. Who cares about that? Go ahead and buy something because everyone else does. Jump off the bridge.
--

-MIKE-

Popularity isn't always the best indicator of quality, but believing you know something the lemming masses don't grasp is a step or two worse. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you ride a Harley as well.
I notice we've drifted away from lighthearted and fun. How about we both quit before it gets really ugly. Okay, Mike?

I would say popularity is hardy ever the best indicator of quality. I'll quit calling PC users (I never have) lemmings, if PC users will quit calling me arrogant just because I use a superior product because I want the best.

No, they are noisemakers. They are "look at me" vehicles. Besides, like Jesse James said, "Riding a Harley used to mean you were a bad ass, now it means you're a middle aged dentist."

I don't know. It's hard to infer what someone is feeling, in type. To me, this is a bunch of guys sitting around, having a couple beers, watching the game, joking around with each other.
If I said, "you're an idiot if you think the Steelers are going to get past the Titans in the playoffs," in that setting, no one would accuse me of getting ugly. They'd joke right back. I think it's the same in here.
BTW, I don't like either of those teams. :-)
--

-MIKE-

You agree to quit calling PC users lemmings (an insult) as long as they stop calling you arrogant (an insult) and you then finish off with your claim of using a superior product (a back handed insult against all PC users).
Your feeble attempt at ending the argument with some form of diplomacy is just that, feeble AND fake. "Up your's" is an appropriate response for you. Take your Mac inferiority complex and shove it up your ass.
Upscale wrote:

Or it went over your head and you're a bit too touchy on the subject.
But either way, is it arrogant to say you use Powermatic or Oneway instead of Grizzly or Central Machinery, because you want to the best?
--

-MIKE-

Is that really the same thing? That's more akin to Dell vs HP vs Toshiba vs ad nauseum. It's closer to buying the PC versus parting it yourself. (Try *that* with a Mac.) Or Lie-Nielsen versus 220v and the Cyclones. Or Veritas versus nekkid honing. For sure, it can get snobbish at times. And what's the difference? The sticks still come out 4-square, just a little slower. Email, usenet, or web browsing are hardly challenging, no matter what the platform. Heck, do I *miss* using emacs to read my email? Nope.
How many flavors at Baskin Robbins? Just one. You can have your vanilla plain, or you can have it with chocolate. Or with pralines and nuts. .... I prefer a good sorbet myself. Is that snobbish? Nah. Not unless I try to prick under your skin with it.

Absolutely not, but it would be if I said I used those tools while in the midst of an argument about my tools being better than the ones most everybody else had. Which is exactly what you did.
Don't play dumb with me Mike. There was criticism in the way you said that a Mac was a better product. Saying it one way some might consider as fact.. Saying it the way you did was tantamount to saying "mine is better than yours" and that's an act of malice.
You want to brag about Macs, feel free to do it all you want. Do it while putting down PC users at the same time, then expect you're going to get feedback.
Certainly, there's some things better about a Mac. I could list just as many different things that are better about Windows. There's advantages to both and that's something you can't argue against.

Name one.

Name one.
Which one do you want, Mac or Windows?

Windows.