Safari

Yup, the only way to get ahead.

If I click on a link and the page won't open or won't function properly, then the utility is nonexistent and with no utility "quality" becomes irrelevant.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It means that it has 80 percent more people developing code for it and thus gives me greater choice of applications.

I dunno. What applications do either of them run?

Reply to
J. Clarke

So what flavor from Baskin Robbins will let me access my checking account?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't know if you're talking hardware or OS.

As OS goes, MS has been transparently and ineptly trying to copy Mac OS for 25 years. And as you put it, "that's a simple fact."

Reply to
-MIKE-

The truth is that all those "also rans" have an inferiority complex. The softwares they use might well be superior, who is to say? But, the fact is that their products have a very low market share compared to Windows and they just can't idly sit by and live with that knowledge. So, Gates and Windows becomes a very easy, very large target.

If those "also rans" truly believed their products were superior in every way, then they should be secure in that knowledge and not find it necessary to resort to Windows bashing. That's not how it is though. Every time an "also ran" bashes Windows, all they're really doing is confirming how much of the market that Windows has and confirming the simple fact that they're jealous. Nothing wrong with that I guess, it's just being human.

Reply to
Upscale

Firstly, that is flawed logic. The amount of people it takes to manufacture a product vs. the amount of people who buy the product has no correlation whatsoever.

To use my music analogy. It's takes the same number of people to produce two albums, each. One sells 10 million, the other 10 thousand.

But on to your hypocrisy... Why do you get to claim that more applications equals "greater choice," but when I say it, you reply, "why do you need dozens of [applications]? Don't _any_ of them work?"

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep, I do believe it's a problem with reading comprehension. Here, this might help:

-MIKE-

RE: Subject

Now children, be nice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

?! Do you mean with a mouse centric GUI? API? Drivers and peripherals interface? File systems? Which part of the OS?

1983, 25 years ago, was the hey day of MSDOS, the birth of the IBM PC, and the beginning of the end for CP/M. The Lisa came out about then, and crashed and burned. Windows and the first Mac appeared shortly after. Desqview was still in the running (briefly), and if you ask me, it was the better product and closer to Windows than the Mac's one button mouse. If you're talking about the mouse and the GUI, you'll have to credit not Apple and Mac, but Xerox PARC.

I have a long history of buying Apple products, all of them harbingers of things to come, but years before the world was ready for them, and years before the technology was available to support the vision. The Mac, Newton, and even the original ipod all led the way. This is to Apple's credit. What they don't have, though, is dominant marketshare. This is the simple fact.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Yes, the interface. They have always lagged behind and copy Mac... and still do.

There you go with market share again. Who cares about that? Go ahead and buy something because everyone else does. Jump off the bridge.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Popularity isn't always the best indicator of quality, but believing you know something the lemming masses don't grasp is a step or two worse. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you ride a Harley as well.

I notice we've drifted away from lighthearted and fun. How about we both quit before it gets really ugly. Okay, Mike?

Reply to
MikeWhy

I would say popularity is hardy ever the best indicator of quality. I'll quit calling PC users (I never have) lemmings, if PC users will quit calling me arrogant just because I use a superior product because I want the best.

No, they are noisemakers. They are "look at me" vehicles. Besides, like Jesse James said, "Riding a Harley used to mean you were a bad ass, now it means you're a middle aged dentist."

I don't know. It's hard to infer what someone is feeling, in type. To me, this is a bunch of guys sitting around, having a couple beers, watching the game, joking around with each other.

If I said, "you're an idiot if you think the Steelers are going to get past the Titans in the playoffs," in that setting, no one would accuse me of getting ugly. They'd joke right back. I think it's the same in here.

BTW, I don't like either of those teams. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

You agree to quit calling PC users lemmings (an insult) as long as they stop calling you arrogant (an insult) and you then finish off with your claim of using a superior product (a back handed insult against all PC users).

Your feeble attempt at ending the argument with some form of diplomacy is just that, feeble AND fake. "Up your's" is an appropriate response for you. Take your Mac inferiority complex and shove it up your ass.

Reply to
Upscale

;) Yup.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Reply to
J. Clarke

Or it went over your head and you're a bit too touchy on the subject.

But either way, is it arrogant to say you use Powermatic or Oneway instead of Grizzly or Central Machinery, because you want to the best?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Plonk: used to ignore spammers and trolls, or to feign disinterest because one is losing the debate. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Is that really the same thing? That's more akin to Dell vs HP vs Toshiba vs ad nauseum. It's closer to buying the PC versus parting it yourself. (Try

*that* with a Mac.) Or Lie-Nielsen versus 220v and the Cyclones. Or Veritas versus nekkid honing. For sure, it can get snobbish at times. And what's the difference? The sticks still come out 4-square, just a little slower. Email, usenet, or web browsing are hardly challenging, no matter what the platform. Heck, do I *miss* using emacs to read my email? Nope.

How many flavors at Baskin Robbins? Just one. You can have your vanilla plain, or you can have it with chocolate. Or with pralines and nuts. .... I prefer a good sorbet myself. Is that snobbish? Nah. Not unless I try to prick under your skin with it.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Absolutely not, but it would be if I said I used those tools while in the midst of an argument about my tools being better than the ones most everybody else had. Which is exactly what you did.

Don't play dumb with me Mike. There was criticism in the way you said that a Mac was a better product. Saying it one way some might consider as fact.. Saying it the way you did was tantamount to saying "mine is better than yours" and that's an act of malice.

You want to brag about Macs, feel free to do it all you want. Do it while putting down PC users at the same time, then expect you're going to get feedback.

Certainly, there's some things better about a Mac. I could list just as many different things that are better about Windows. There's advantages to both and that's something you can't argue against.

Reply to
Upscale

Name one.

Reply to