Saddle brackets...?

Howdy,
There is a gadget called a "saddle bracket" (or so I thought...)
It is a sheet metal assembly that allows the use of "square end" rafters. Instead of angling then end of the rafter appropriately, this sheet metal hanger is used.
There is a similar gadget that is used at the bottom to avoid the necessity for cutting the bird's mouth.
I am looking for a source for these things, but am having trouble. My strong suspicion is that they now go by a name other than "saddle bracket."
Despite a visit to Home Depot, and lots of Googling, I am getting nowhere. I also checked my MSC catalog and found that not only could I not locate the specific item I need, I could not even locate things like joist hangers. I am pretty sure that they are somewhere in those 4000 odd pages by a name that I am not considering.
Can you suggest a source, or another name by which these things might be known?
Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Usually these things are sold by Simpson. I think the bracket for the bird mouth is called a hurricane clip/ max

Try this link:
http://www.strongtie.com /
Phil Davis 247PalmBeachRE.com
I don't know of any mechanical fasteners that would allow you to connect the rafter to the ridge as a straight cut. Also, those hurricane ties are not meant to replace the birdsmouth cut, they are to keep tension between the rafter and top plates on the structure in the event of a hurricane or earthquake, thus keeping the roof system attached to the wall system. I'm unsure of what you are trying to build here, but cutting the correct angles for a simple gable type roof is well within the realm of something your average DIY'er can do. If you are trying to avoid this, try getting a Swanson speed square with directions, I think you'll find it's not as hard as it appears.--dave

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:56:34 +0000, Dave Jackson wrote:

You mentioned the speed square in another post too. I'm curious: are those gadgets of any use to woodworking tasks in general, or just framing? Framing squares are handy in the shop, for instance.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

I have a couple of the small(7"?) ones from aluminum that I use a lot. Quick layout for a 90deg. cut in anything, also you can lay out a miter angle real quick if you don't have the miter saw out and prefer to leave that pesky miter gauge @ 90deg. on the tablesaw.
--
Nahmie
I would by no means call them accurate enough for fine furniture, but if you were building picnic tables or other outdoor furniture, etc. that required angle cuts, the speed square is unbeatable. I can drop the thing on a board and pivot it to whatever angle i need to cut and mark it just that quickly. It also has markings to cut roof rafter angles and the hip. Although it may seem confusing at first with all the markings for differrent things, the learning curve is minimal for the average DIY'er. I use mine everyday to layout stuff, framing and finishing. In fact, it's right there with the hammer and tape measure for things we carpenters *must* carry in our tool pouches. I usually see them sold for around $10 with a little blue book that will explain how to use it. Plus, they are virtually indestructable. Try one, you can't go wrong. --dave