Reply to
Leon

Thank you.

Reply to
Leon

I would already miss the new one. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Finding the keyboard operational Leon entered:

My wife and I take in "older" dogs so I have felt your loss many more times then I thought I would. I am convinced that somehow dogs leave instructions for the new dog. Something like "This is your human now and you are going to have to train him. It's going to take him some time to learn when you have to go out. Just pee on the floor and sooner or later he'll learn. And don't forget to chew up something you don't want to. Gotta keep him occupied. Most of all he's a sucker for that cute look but don't do it too often. Make him earn it." We just picked up 2 new bassets last month. They almost have me trained. Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

Shockingly, the new pup has not had an accident in the house yet. We OTOH have had 2 because the whimpering did not register 15 minutes after coming back in from out side. This 8 week old pup woke my wife up by whimpering to let her out side. She knows already to let us know. Also we have had her for 2 nights now and no crying. She goes right into the kennel and that's it until morning. Our first Great Dane was trained by our Weimeraner, or at least I thought. I am convinced that Ciera's scent has helped to break in the new pup to her new home. I believe you are right about the older dog leaving instructions.

Reply to
Leon

I'm very sorry about your loss. We lost our 13 year old German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix just over a year ago. On the morning I was going to take her to the vet for that final shot, she didn't wake up. She was such a great guardian that she even spared me from that pain at the end.

A new dog is always great therapy.

We had been keeping an eye out for a Great Dane to rescue, but we also liked the idea of a bloodhound. Out of the blue, a friend called and asked if we had room for a Great Dane/Bloodhound mix.

The mix is every bit as loveable and goofy as you would imagine. She looks like the world's tallest coonhound.

Behold, Tonka:

Kevin Craig

Snip

Beware of LONG floppy ears. You have to dry them off after the dog eats or drinks. My neice had a Coon Hound with long ears and it was a mess, they would dip in to the food and water bowl. ;~) Then again the Danes tend to carry half a dinner under those lips after they finish eating at the bowl. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Sorry to hear it sir.

We lost our yellow lab about 1 year ago for the same reason.

All the replies are bringing back memories of our lab. I got him after reading about many of the breeds and liked the fact that they like kids and are very good natured. I thought this "retriever" breed would retireve if you wanted it to. Boy was I wrong. After he turned one year I was working outside one day and he came trotting up with a 2 by 4 by 8 feet long in his mouth. I could tell he was having trouble carring it but he sure was proud. Then the compulsive retrieving continued for awhile: neighborhood kid's toys, clothes from a clothesline, sock, shoes, dead cow femurs, and other stuff. And boy did he have a curiosity about food and an appetite. One day I came home from work and didn't see him around(we had several acres and he ran free). But on the ground there were these curious cardboard pieces and bits of white plastic. I finally realized that my bottle of 500 large multiple vitamins had arrived and our lab had torn open the package after UPS left and eatin them all. I found him around back nursing an upset stomach!

We still haven't continplated a new dog but I hope we do soon.

Keep those good memories and add more with the new dog. I have a feeling the new one will turn out good also. The indians use to say that dogs thought that man was a god because he could bring down wild game from a distance with weapons. Not sure of that, but for some reason they like us. I am surprised but glad that they do.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Thank you Ron.