Sad departures

Page 3 of 3
I replied earlier about Ken Vaughn's site, lamenting the loss of Ken's knowledge. Well, I just did a search and found his site at this URL, which I believe is newer:
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/index.html Looks like, at least Ken, is still around!
wrote

Jeff: So glad to have what you so freely share and I highly value accessable. Many thanks.
Yo Group:
I started this thread and, since I've lurked about on the rec long enough to know better, I'm not surprised to see the direction it took. I'm not interested in debating intellectural property and copyright protection. Actually, I'm interested in woodworking. One day I hope to acquire the necessary skill and have the time to post web pages showing my shop, my projects, my jigs, etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed these posts from others who have freely shared their experiences. I have learned a lot and expect to learn more. When I do post, I expect anyone who sees my postings to be able to copy, save, share and use what they see and enhance their wood working experiences. I would also like feedback and a "thank you", but that's not neither necessary nor expected.
As I've said before, I've lerned an awful lot because others have taken the time to post and, kinda like a debt, I expect to contribute back some as well. I see this group like I see my wood working club. A collection of folk who will freely share their skills and teach others.
I am a hobbiest. Perhaps, if I did this for a living, I might not want to share info so freely, but I expect I would not enjoy this endevour as much.
So again, I'm sad to see some of the quality sites slip away and I celebrate the opportunity to visit great sites (like Jeff's) that are "here and now".
Bill

Bill
Phil Anderson wrote:

Well said! Lots here do it for a living and still love it!!!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:45:27 -0700, Phil Anderson wrote:

basilisk

Jeff,
What is your opinion of Morris Dovey's sentiments?
If we were to archive pages from your site on our personal systems, would you consider it "stealing" or "preserving"?
:: What is your opinion of Morris Dovey's sentiments?
:: If we were to archive pages from your site on our personal systems, would you consider it "stealing" or "preserving"?
To be candid, having been on holiday, I've forgotten Morris's sentiments, but when putting stuff on the internet I've always been aware that I've lost control of it's eventual use. I gather that applications do exist for easily downloading entire web sites.
I know how much people's hobbies can mean to them; my aim is to help folk get good results by following time-honoured and sound techniques. I first started this site when woodworking groups could only use ASCCII code to construct drawings but it has extended to re-using material already published (and paid for) that otherwise would be sitting on my hard drive and doing nothing very useful.
Since it is freely offered, logically I can't see it as stealing, but I'd be shocked if content (especially the pics) was copied 'verbatim' and blatantly offered as someone's original work.
Fairly recently I saw that somebody has done a sketchup drawing of my ramped shooting board (http://tinyurl.com/24zpu7a ) but since he/she did acknowledge the source, that was pleasing and OK by me. However, I don't know what I would think if, as is extremely unlikely, somebody offered them for sale in quantity without prior contact.
However it would make my day if, as has happened in the past, folk who thought that the content was worth the trouble of archiving were also kind enough to tell me. My slightly disguised email address is at the foot of each posting, but not (so far) on the site itself.
The new, much-easier-to-use software that prompted me to restore the site does offer a comment box but so far I'm a bit wary of trying it.
Jeff
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK email : Username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk www.amgron.clara.net
On 4/28/2010 7:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

To alleviate your obvious distress at my sentiments, the web page with the offending copyrights has been moved to a private area on the server.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar