Sad departures

Page 1 of 3
I had occasion today to look at all the links I've saved on other people's workshops. Many, many dead links.
A sad goodbye to Howard Ruttan who often posted great things.
So sad to not be able to connect with Ken Vaughn's pages. Really a wealth of info now not available.
Take heed and make a permanent copy of the valuable things you find.
Bill
I've been wondering about Ken. He, like me, hasn't posted here for quite awhile. I wonder if his site is just down or something more permanent has happened...

Ken Vaughn's site is STILL ACTIVE
this works for me
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65 /
Visited him about 18 months ago. A talented and sharing woodworker. thanks again Ken
Ted
Phil Anderson wrote:

In article

You can always try the internet archive at archive.org. They might have saved a usable copy.
On 4/8/2010 12:04 PM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

If it looks like it has value, steal it?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I think the sentiments were to keep things from becoming lost...as the publisher would probably would have liked.

On 4/8/2010 9:57 PM, Bill wrote:

And so before the author has a chance to expire, you would steal his work - just in case he made no provision for its continued publication?
It's theft, and it honors no one.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Maybe we're talking about two different things. I have never been to the site under discussion. But if I had investment myself in constructing a site, I would like it to have as much permanence as possible--sort of like planting a tree. I'm not talking about anything that has to do with theft...I'm talking about preservation. Do you think people write books mostly for the money (not in my field of expertise they don't...lol)?

On 4/8/2010 11:21 PM, Bill wrote:

It's fairly common practice for Youtubers to encourage others to copy and repost their videos in order to prevent their permanent removal.
But Youtubers don't expect to profit by sales of their work.
On 4/8/2010 10:21 PM, Bill wrote:

I understand the desire to preserve that which one values...
...and I maintain that taking someone else's property without their permission and without an exchange of value for value, is theft.
Under international law, the right to make copies of authored (drawn, sculpted, photographed, composed, recorded,...) materials is the property of the creator from the very instant of creation.
Opinions on an author's motivation have no relevance, and calling theft "preservation" doesn't change its nature.
In my experience, fewer than one in a thousand of those who "value" work sufficiently to want to "preserve" it, value it enough even to say "Thank you for showing it to me."
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I wasn't talking about those high-volume sexy sites. ; ) As an example, don't you think that the content of all of the "What is it?" threads should be formally archived? Most of the folks at the sites that I go to are pretty respectful folks.

On 4/9/2010 12:37 AM, Bill wrote:

Theft strikes me as an especially poor way to show respect, regardless of who's doing the stealing and who they're stealing from.
I don't normally see the "What is it?" threads - my filters are set up to mark those posts as read (not killed, but read) because they're too distracting for me. If you think they should be archived then you should perhaps be corresponding with Rob - and discussing with /him/ how to make doing so worth his time, effort, and server space (and/or offering him /your/ time, effort, and server space) to set up and maintain that archive.
I think most folks /are/ essentially honest and respectful of others - and I don't have much use for those who aren't.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

So, Google is not your friend? I'm certain they are archiving all that stuff, and this stuff, and all w/o permission, at least I don't recall giving them permission, or you permission, to copy anything I write in the Rec.
--
Jack
Conservatives believe every day is the Fourth of July, Liberals believe

This is such a public forum, you know you are being archieved. If you want privacey you can communicaate via email.
I agree with others, a lot of people make websites a collections of techniques they want to teach to others. I have seen permission to copy, rarely a "do not copy" but largly it is not addressed. But knowing what I do of some of these people, they wouldn't mind at all. I think they would view it as "still teaching", so long as proper credit is given. And it isn't being done for commercial gain. Yes, I think that is a factor too.
John

A few years back someone tried to bound and sell a bunch of "useful threads" from a newsgroup, and created all kinds of controversy by doing so. I don't recall how it worked out, but there was no shortage of opinions about the issue! : )
Bill
On 4/11/2010 3:57 PM, Bill wrote:

Well, if they were binding it and selling it in printed form without permission of the authors that is clear copyright violation.
Bill wrote:
> A few years back someone tried to bound and sell a bunch of "useful threads"

In the days of FidoNet, I wrote an application that would automatically scan the FOOD echo for recipes, it would separate the recipes from the post, format them for a popular recipe program (QBOOK) and archive the files for free downloading from my Bulletin Board. I never worried too much about it other than some recipes that stated, and may have been, the original recipes for stuff like KFC or McDonalds special sauce, stuff like that. I had over 21,000 recipes.
Common sense tells you if you post something for public usage, it can be used, particularly if not used for profit. Common sense also tells you the judicial system has about as much common sense as a can of worms...
Google and YouTube are a wonder though, and hard to figure how a pack of wild eyed lawyers haven't robbed them of all their money yet...
--
Jack
Got Change: big government =====> BIG GOVERNMENT!

On 4/9/2010 1:37 AM, Bill wrote:

Archiving is already taken care of. Google may be screwing it up these days but they do make a pretty good attempt to keep the archive of every USENET post that gets to their servers, except those with the x-no-archive header or those that have been removed either at the request of the author or because they were in some manner or other unlawful.
Of course if Google goes under that archive goes away.
The trouble with the "what is it" threads is that they don't make much sense without the "what is it" images to go with them, and those images belong to the site owner or whoever shoots them for him.
J. Clarke wrote:

Well, the "What Is It?" threads serve as a nice example of something that I wouldn't wish for society to lose. I see them in the same category as a museum-piece--actually, they document the museum pieces! :)
Bill