Sad

Page 2 of 2

Man --- We are drawing a lot of crazy conclusions from the OP? My wife and I served as caregivers for the 14 years that all four of our parents declined and passed. I'll damned well guarantee you that my mother didn't know about some of the things we had to do. Most ahlzheimers patients don't.
Didn't make it much easier.

Your caregiver might be able to come up with a reason to sell them that makes more sense. How 'bout $4,000/month nursing home bills? How 'bout $900/month prescription bills? Funny how many people think this kind of stuff is covered by Medicare. Someone has to pay the bills or you will go off into the Medicaid mist. Then you can loose the ability to choose your care facility.
RonB

Geez, did I miss something?
It says,
The owner is my father-in-law, an 80-year-old former engineer and fine woodworker who kept the tools well-maintained. Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore
Can you explain how you got "scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop"?
RayV wrote:

Wow! guess I hit a sore spot with some people. Just my initial reaction reading the ad and looking at the pictures.
Must have been an initial flash of my future if neither of my girls take to tools. I feel bad for Art either having to give it up or being forced to give it up. The ad does say "Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore." Those tools don't look to me like they've been sitting around for years, heck the dust collector looks like it just came out of the box. The "cash and carry" satement also made me ill.
Maybe it is for nursing home care or to pay for medication. But I can tell you if my MIL ever gets to the point she can't or won't cook, garden, or make wine anymore I'll be damned If I would even consider selling off her stuff for non-use or money. For her happiness it would be worth any minor inconvience to me to make things work out for her.

Any maybe you'll have to sell it (as well as her house) at some point to pay for her care. BTDT. It goes well beyond "minor" inconvenience sometimes.
OTOH, maybe the old guy would rather see it gone than to have to look at tools he can't use. We surely don' tknow the real reason.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski replied:

RayV apologetically replied: Sorry to hear that, I'm sure it was difficult for all.
I hope SWMBO and I will never be in that position, MIL is still going strong at 69 with no signs of slowing down.

And there maybe another simple reason why the stuff is forsale. The FIL who loves woodworking so much just may not be able to do it anymore like he used to and just wants it all out of his sight. I used to be a really avid gun collector with a membership and part ownership of a gun club. When I would up in a wheelchair, after one attempt to go up to the gun club and slogging through the mud and sand at the gun range, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to enjoy it as I used to be able to. I sold off all my guns and a few people walked out the door grinning from ear to ear at the deals I gave them. Since I wasn't going to enjoy shooting anymore, I just wanted it all out of my sight. And even now some years later, I've always known it was the right thing for me to do.
why doesn't someone just e-mail the guy and ask him what's up with the sale?
Oh yeah, not nealy as fun as the assumptions :-)
RayV wrote:

Because, Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore, pretty much sums it up.

I'm not going to go there

I think this guy is out of his tree thinking that he can get $30K for a shop of tools. IMO the 1/2 of new guideline applies to *individual* tools.
Maybe... just maybe if he sold the pieces one-zy two-zy and was really patient. Anybody who would want those shop contents (pretty nice stuff) probably has half of it already. The seller should be offering a "package discount". I would be surprised if he gets much more than $10k.
-Steve

Well, I do have a suspicious mind at times but I kind of wonder whether the same guy who placed the ad posted the message here.
Maybe he was concerned he'd get flamed if he just pointed us to it so he tried to come up with an angle.
Otherwise, I just don't understand his motivation and logic.

Actually I hope the guy who originated the ad never has to see some of the stuff posted here!
RonB

Probably right about that....
I think it's time to put this string to sleep.