Sad

Page 1 of 2

Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/202786644.html
Maybe a good deal if you have $30K lying around.
RayV wrote:

If the FIL is 80, I'm guessing the son-in-law is somewhere between 40 and 60.
Is that too old for retroactive abortion?

DANG!!!!
RayV wrote:

If the FIL is 80 and of ill health,then why is the seller a scumbag? surely it cost money to look after an ill relative.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Seems to be an awful lot of baseless conclusion jumping around here. Isn't it conceivable the ad is exactly what it says, a son in law helping his ill father in law out by selling something he no longer uses, something for which the man might actual be grateful? There's nothing in the ad to indicate anything else so why the negative assumptions?
Dan
Obviously this guy must never think he's going to be 80 or ever be sick and have to watch some moran sell away a life time of work effort. I hope this ends up going full circle and getting him one day !!!!
Also another good reason to make your wishes known before hand as to what you want done with your shop. I was blessed some 40 years ago to be given a shop full of tools from a friend of the family who passed away . That was my start in woodworking. Happily my son has since followed suit and lacks for nothing in his shop. He actually still uses some of those original tools. As a result of that gift years ago my wishes are that they keep the tools until they happen to find some deserving person starting out and to make them the same gift I got 40 years ago. Might seem a little selfish but it makes me feel good knowing someone else will maybe get a life long love for woodworking because of it!

and
this
I'm not so sure that you are being fair to the guy that posted this ad. Read the quote:
"This is a complete amateur furniture-maker/woodworker shop. Many pro-grade tools. This shop has taken over 20 years to assemble, constantly being upgraded. The owner is my father-in-law, an 80-year-old former engineer and fine woodworker who kept the tools well-maintained. Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore. "
It doesn't suggest to me that the guy that owns the shop is not involved in the process. It may very well be that he does not want to saddle his kids with having to deal with his stuff upon his demise that he feels is just around the corner. Dad might also think that this is a good way to pay for the last chance at the trip he always wanted to take or something.
--

Roger Shoaf

RayV wrote:

Just curious what makes you think he's *making* his FIL do anything? Maybe his FIL is too sick to handle selling it himself?
I don't see enough information there to judge...
Chris

Or maybe his father-in-law doesn't know a thing about computers.
My 80-year old FIL has problems with anything that requires reading the instructions.
My MIL called me over the other day to help her with the new calculator she bought. The display was showing these strange numbers - "123.456.78" no matter what buttons she pressed. So I peeled off the protective cover.

Maybe the FIL is in a nursing home and they need to sell the house to pay the bills. Maybe the FIL just wants to sell the tools so someone can be using them. Could be a hundred things.
I don't see how he could have $60k in those tools though.

Kind of easy to pick out the folks in this string of posts who have never been in a caregiver role. The ad says he just doesn't use the tools any more. Anyone consider that that might BE TRUE?
More importantly, maybe he has reached a mental and physical state where the tools are a danger to the old gentleman. If you experts think this is terrible, wait until the day when you have to ask dad or mom for their car keys. Then you might understand the pain that the son-in-law and his wife are feeling.
Most of you do not have the facts; but I suspect you do have some growing up to do in the future.
RonB
RonB wrote:

Right on target. My mother died at the age of 79 a few years ago. She drove up until about the last year of her life, at which point I had to take away her car after several fender benders, including 2 in which she backed into cars at local grocery store parking lot than simply drove off, apparently not even realizing what had happened. She was not happy about losing an important aspect of her freedom, and frankly it was a fairly grim scene, but if I had not done this & she had killed or injured some child in one of those parking lots, I would have felt horribly guilty.
Dan
RonB wrote:

I don't care how feeble and confused I get. I want my tools until I'm dead, and I can explain why. I don't even have a good workshop, and yet my identity is tied up in having tools and at least theoretically being able to use them. If a "caregiver" sold them off because I'm 80 and can't use them anyway, to me that would be like saying I'm dead already. Just doing time 'til I take the dirt nap.
I was kidding about retroactively aborting the SIL. Joke. Not joking, however, about feeling as good as dead without tools. That's just me, personally.

And hopefully, your SIL would respect that. However, no basis that I see for imputing your attitude about your tools to the FIL in this case.

alexy wrote:

Right, except I thought it was fun to kid about. Can't speak for the OP, but I was not trying to be very serious. :)

If I had a a choice of selling them for the true value, or having my widow sell them for a fraction of their true worth, I'd sell them while I'm still "with it."
I can see it now.
"How much ya want for that table saw? Hmm. It's 3-phase and 240 volts. That's a real pain to use. And this sucker's heavy. Pretty old.... at least 10 years. I guess I could go as high as $200, and I'd be doing you a favor."
Bruce Barnett wrote:

So what! I'll be dead! ;-)

Single, eh? :-)
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Nope! I'm just not gonna be counting my change, because I'll be DEAD. :-D
I mean think about it. "Wow, reselling my tools for hundreds less than they're worth is the worst thing that's happened to me this month... besides DYING."
RonB wrote:

I just hope whoever buys this setup makes certain to get a receipt from the FIL or a copy of the SIL's power of attorney or something. FIL may not even be aware of what SIL is doing. If SIL doesn't own it, he can't sell it.
FoggyTown Red Sox fan since 1955 - presently considering options