Sad

Another reason to get your kids interested in woodworking. This scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop while he is still alive.

a good deal if you have $30K lying around.

Reply to
RayV

If the FIL is 80, I'm guessing the son-in-law is somewhere between 40 and 60.

Is that too old for retroactive abortion?

Reply to
boorite

DANG!!!!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

If the FIL is 80 and of ill health,then why is the seller a scumbag? surely it cost money to look after an ill relative.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Obviously this guy must never think he's going to be 80 or ever be sick and have to watch some moran sell away a life time of work effort. I hope this ends up going full circle and getting him one day !!!!

Also another good reason to make your wishes known before hand as to what you want done with your shop. I was blessed some 40 years ago to be given a shop full of tools from a friend of the family who passed away . That was my start in woodworking. Happily my son has since followed suit and lacks for nothing in his shop. He actually still uses some of those original tools. As a result of that gift years ago my wishes are that they keep the tools until they happen to find some deserving person starting out and to make them the same gift I got 40 years ago. Might seem a little selfish but it makes me feel good knowing someone else will maybe get a life long love for woodworking because of it!

Reply to
Ed Walsh

Seems to be an awful lot of baseless conclusion jumping around here. Isn't it conceivable the ad is exactly what it says, a son in law helping his ill father in law out by selling something he no longer uses, something for which the man might actual be grateful? There's nothing in the ad to indicate anything else so why the negative assumptions?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I'm not so sure that you are being fair to the guy that posted this ad. Read the quote:

"This is a complete amateur furniture-maker/woodworker shop. Many pro-grade tools. This shop has taken over 20 years to assemble, constantly being upgraded. The owner is my father-in-law, an 80-year-old former engineer and fine woodworker who kept the tools well-maintained. Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore. "

It doesn't suggest to me that the guy that owns the shop is not involved in the process. It may very well be that he does not want to saddle his kids with having to deal with his stuff upon his demise that he feels is just around the corner. Dad might also think that this is a good way to pay for the last chance at the trip he always wanted to take or something.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Just curious what makes you think he's *making* his FIL do anything? Maybe his FIL is too sick to handle selling it himself?

I don't see enough information there to judge...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Maybe the FIL is in a nursing home and they need to sell the house to pay the bills. Maybe the FIL just wants to sell the tools so someone can be using them. Could be a hundred things.

I don't see how he could have $60k in those tools though.

Reply to
Toller

Kind of easy to pick out the folks in this string of posts who have never been in a caregiver role. The ad says he just doesn't use the tools any more. Anyone consider that that might BE TRUE?

More importantly, maybe he has reached a mental and physical state where the tools are a danger to the old gentleman. If you experts think this is terrible, wait until the day when you have to ask dad or mom for their car keys. Then you might understand the pain that the son-in-law and his wife are feeling.

Most of you do not have the facts; but I suspect you do have some growing up to do in the future.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Right on target. My mother died at the age of 79 a few years ago. She drove up until about the last year of her life, at which point I had to take away her car after several fender benders, including 2 in which she backed into cars at local grocery store parking lot than simply drove off, apparently not even realizing what had happened. She was not happy about losing an important aspect of her freedom, and frankly it was a fairly grim scene, but if I had not done this & she had killed or injured some child in one of those parking lots, I would have felt horribly guilty.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I don't care how feeble and confused I get. I want my tools until I'm dead, and I can explain why. I don't even have a good workshop, and yet my identity is tied up in having tools and at least theoretically being able to use them. If a "caregiver" sold them off because I'm 80 and can't use them anyway, to me that would be like saying I'm dead already. Just doing time 'til I take the dirt nap.

I was kidding about retroactively aborting the SIL. Joke. Not joking, however, about feeling as good as dead without tools. That's just me, personally.

Reply to
boorite

I just hope whoever buys this setup makes certain to get a receipt from the FIL or a copy of the SIL's power of attorney or something. FIL may not even be aware of what SIL is doing. If SIL doesn't own it, he can't sell it.

FoggyTown Red Sox fan since 1955 - presently considering options

Reply to
foggytown

And hopefully, your SIL would respect that. However, no basis that I see for imputing your attitude about your tools to the FIL in this case.

Reply to
alexy

Right, except I thought it was fun to kid about. Can't speak for the OP, but I was not trying to be very serious. :)

Reply to
boorite

Geez, did I miss something?

It says,

The owner is my father-in-law, an 80-year-old former engineer and fine woodworker who kept the tools well-maintained. Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore

Can you explain how you got "scumbag is making his FIL get rid of the shop"?

Reply to
Leon

Or maybe his father-in-law doesn't know a thing about computers.

My 80-year old FIL has problems with anything that requires reading the instructions.

My MIL called me over the other day to help her with the new calculator she bought. The display was showing these strange numbers - "123.456.78" no matter what buttons she pressed. So I peeled off the protective cover.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

If I had a a choice of selling them for the true value, or having my widow sell them for a fraction of their true worth, I'd sell them while I'm still "with it."

I can see it now.

"How much ya want for that table saw? Hmm. It's 3-phase and

240 volts. That's a real pain to use. And this sucker's heavy. Pretty old.... at least 10 years. I guess I could go as high as $200, and I'd be doing you a favor."
Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Man --- We are drawing a lot of crazy conclusions from the OP? My wife and I served as caregivers for the 14 years that all four of our parents declined and passed. I'll damned well guarantee you that my mother didn't know about some of the things we had to do. Most ahlzheimers patients don't.

Didn't make it much easier.

Your caregiver might be able to come up with a reason to sell them that makes more sense. How 'bout $4,000/month nursing home bills? How 'bout $900/month prescription bills? Funny how many people think this kind of stuff is covered by Medicare. Someone has to pay the bills or you will go off into the Medicaid mist. Then you can loose the ability to choose your care facility.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Wow! guess I hit a sore spot with some people. Just my initial reaction reading the ad and looking at the pictures.

Must have been an initial flash of my future if neither of my girls take to tools. I feel bad for Art either having to give it up or being forced to give it up. The ad does say "Poor health is the reason for the sale. He just doesn't use it anymore." Those tools don't look to me like they've been sitting around for years, heck the dust collector looks like it just came out of the box. The "cash and carry" satement also made me ill.

Maybe it is for nursing home care or to pay for medication. But I can tell you if my MIL ever gets to the point she can't or won't cook, garden, or make wine anymore I'll be damned If I would even consider selling off her stuff for non-use or money. For her happiness it would be worth any minor inconvience to me to make things work out for her.

Reply to
RayV