Sacrificial Fence Clamps

Sacrificial Fence Clamps were mentioned on a post a while back and a link to Rockler or similar site led to a pair of clamps that featured what looked like a "C" clamp with one of the pads replaced by a quarter-inch bit of steel rod. With postage and handling, they seemed a bit too pricey considering I'd been able to work around the problem previously with jury-rigs and scraps.

Tonight I thought, why not modify a regular old clamp?

So I dug about and found two little (four-inch) Ratchet Bar Clamp/ Spreader (s) from Harbor Freight Tools (SKU 46805) which I seldom used but never threw out.

The clamp end is removable so one can stick it at teh opposite end of the clamp and make a "Spreader."

So, I removed the one end and took a quarter-inch bit of steel rod and ground a bit of flat at one end to match the flat end of the clamp's bar and brazed them together at 85 degrees or so. I did it twice and drilled a couple holes in a bit of wood that fit alongside my Sears Fence and clamped it up with my new gadgets.

And, they ratchet tight and have a quick release rather than a threaded approach as in the "factory" versions.

As I recall, the two clamps cost me under three dollars with the tax. I'd upload an image but I don't know how. If you want a picture, please e-mail me and I'll send one.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Ingenious! And thrifty too. I love it. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Several years back I bought a pair of the Rockler "Blue" aluminum fence clamps for $15. They work great. Wood craft sells a not so elegent looking set for about $30.

I was thinking D A N G when you mentioned too expensive.

Then I read your solution and thought again D A N G.... good on you!

Reply to
Leon