S-OT: Most Relaxing Tool in the shop?

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:18:06 +0000, mttt wrote:

That'd be the 8 lb maul (used to be a heavier one). Stuff that needs to go away eventually does :-)
-Doug
I'm with JOAT- just knowing it is all there for me-
though I do really enjoy the lathe. Most usless, but most fun.
Nerve wracking? the telephone. The screaming shop vac.
-Dan
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:49:11 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

The screaming Crapsman router. I really hate that thing.
The tool that I feel most relaxed after using is the lathe. It isn't a real practical tool in terms of making things I need, but it provides a great deal of enjoyment. Quick turnaround projects, nice little bauble that people are just amazed you can make. Last night I turned my first hollow-form, about 6" tall by 3.5 wide, neck opening about 3/4". From a piece of scrap mahogany deck post (free, another nice thing about the lathe, uses lots of free wood).
Everything went well, too well, I got greedy on wall thickness. Had a minor catch and my reaction blew the vase apart. I had got the walls down to just under 1/16" thick. My kids (9 & under) still wanted to keep. I put tung oil on it, gorgeous except for that shattered rim. It will remain on a shelf near the lathe as a reminder to not get greedy.
In order to turn things you have to completely concentrate on tool position, body position, everything. But not only from a "how do I keep my body parts intact" point of view like most tools (you've got that with the lathe too). It's focusing on the shape, the way the shavings come off, how the cutting is going. Completely different feel than using most power tools, which is more of a feed the piece to the machine feel.
In terms of which tools do I most dislike using it's probably the jointer. Too many nasty stories, the somewhat exposed cutterhead. Just waiting to gnaw off fingers.
"T." wrote in message
But, the most relaxing tool, I guess, would have to be my folding chair. I sit using the router table, and scroll saw, but the bestest, mostest relaxing thing, is just sitting, radio turned low, maybe a cup of coffee, smell the wood, and enjoy kowing I've got a shop. I don't have a big, fancy shop, I don't have big, expensive, tools. But, I'd been many years without a shop, now I've got one, and it, and all the tools in it are paid for, and all mine. Everything in the shop is fun, but, I have to say, the shop chair is my most relaxing tool.
JOAT
I still have a similar quote of yours from a year or so back on my website, properly attributed. ... still says it ALL for me.
It was in the 30's here this morning (too cold for a pending glueup), so I actually cleaned the shop. Went out later and just sat, in a CLEAN shop for a change, and did some design drawing, which I usually do in the house ... nice and peaceful.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) writes:
[...]

I very seldom clean my shop, because if i get rid of the shavings I have to stand on the hard uneven concrete floor.
You have my permission ... LOL!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04
Swingman wrote:

I went out to clean, looked at the mess, looked at the temperature, and decided to come back inside.
But I *almost* did just that today. :)

house
Welp ... I also moved the bandsaw ... a move I've been contemplating for a while, but been too busy to do. I am not sure that I am going to like it where it is, but it took some extra 'sitting back and cogitating' time after doing .. another past time I find myself doing more and more as I realize I'm not as young as I once was.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04
Swingman wrote:

I'll admit to going out there and just sitting for a bit, without doing anything at all. Maybe listening to the radio, but I only got a radio very recently.
Sad, really, that I would prefer to spend time inside a 10x12 shed than inside with my family.
I think I'm turning into a bona fide hermit.
I find it relaxing just to spend time puttering around in the shop and playing with any of the aniuqe tools on the wall most from dad grand pa and great grand dad and a great old guy that thoght me so much about the art of building just looking at these tools remebering the things they were able to make with them some day maybe Ill be that good of a craftsman. Most stressful tool would be the table saw really need to up date this cheap craftsman bench top but with a new baby dew in four months that will just have to wait.
JIm
P.S love to show of the shop too
A MAN WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS CAN SURE SCREW THINGS UP
The lath, no if ands or buts about it. That is why I don't have one in the shop, I would spend all day playing on it and not working. (have one that is not set up just waiting until I catch up on other stuff)

How about Real tired. Drove 500+ miles and attended a 4 hour trade meeting, all on 5 hours of fitful sleep the night before I wrote that message. I meant one of those spinning things that you make table legs on. A Lathe Without a spell check I can spell cat 4 different ways all wrong.
(Sweet Sawdust) kinda scares me with: The lath, no if ands or buts about it. That is why I don't have one in the shop, I would spend all day playing on it and not working. (have one that is not set up just waiting until I catch up on other stuff)
Hmm, either you're real strange, or just can't spell. Which is it?
From WordNet (r) 1.7 (wn) lath n : a narrow thin strip of wood
JOAT You have two choices in life: You can dissolve into the mainstream, or you can be distinct. To be distinct is to be different. To be different, you must strive to be what no one else but you can be. - Alan Ashley-Pitt
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 22 Jan 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
The radio!
mttt wrote:

Definitely, the lathe. For hand tools chisels are enjoyable, but they have bitten me several times.

Phisherman wrote:

Hand saws for me. I'm making (turning) a lot of things with a little waste piece on the end, which I have to cut off with a saw. I've cut my finger three times so far. It's starting to look like a chopping block.
Nerve wracking? Probably the shaper.
Relaxing? 1. Any handplane - shavings are cool. 2. Dust collector - after dealing with a shop vac for years a real DC is nice to clean up with (phwoop and crap is gone).
Fun (even though you didn't ask)? Lathe - instant gratification and it just makes cool stuff.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"mttt" < snipped-for-privacy@donotuse.com> wrote in message
Good thread!
The most relaxing activity in the shop is using a big, sharp handplane to edge joint a board, or a whole stack of them for a project. The rhythm, the workflow, the blood flowing with the mild exercise. I think of my grandfathers, and all the great stuff they did before there were electric powered tools.
The least relaxing power tool in my shop is the telephone, since it usually drags me back to the reality of the rest of the world. If I could just afford to retire now...
Patriarch
patriarch wrote:

I'd go along with that, except I love my lathes. OTOH I love my planes. I hate decisions, also my TS. How about fairly quiet and real quiet, that let's in the planes and the lathes. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

I can't argue with that choice, and I've been known to "waste" time in the shop planing boards just because I was in the mood to do so. But, over time, I've come to consider spokeshaving to be the most relaxing. Leisurely peeling off curlies while you turn a square piece into a round one and watching the burnished surface a shave leaves (even on endgrain) is a treat. Carving would be right up there, but you've got to be totally on top of things or you can wreck a piece in a heartbeat.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) In general, any woodworking that can be done while listening to music is relaxing.