S-OT: Most Relaxing Tool in the shop?

Page 1 of 3
Since I'm (currently) more of a Normite - the bandsaw is my most relaxing, enjoyable tool. Long sweeping cuts, concentrating on keeping the line, tuning out everything else. Very relaxing for me.
If I was more of a Neander, I suspect that a plane would be enjoyable.
Most nerve-wracking tool for me? The router-table with a big flush trim bit. Still a gut-tightening, white-knuckle ride for me.
You folks?

As a Neander (although i definitively do not live anywhere near Mettmann, the biggest city in the Neanderthal) i really enyou planing the most, it really addictive.
Resawing with the framesaw is too hard work for elaxation, it's rather workout.

The hatchet, at least since i nearly lost a finger to it. Fortunately it went in ony a quarter of the way through and the cut healed very well.

I found learning to throw a hatchet at a tree stump about 15 paces away to be very relaxing.
My radio.

I don't "relax" around any sharp edged tool, be it a powered tool or not. As a matter of fact I've gotten only cuts from power equipment that isn't running. My worst cuts usually involve getting CMT router bits out of those *^#%% storage inserts they cursed us with. Why can't CMT package their bits in a safer manner??
dave
mttt wrote:

Apparently packaging causes quite a large number of injuries each year. So many, in fact, that there was a TV news report about it not too long ago. I've done some fairly unsafe things trying to open those thick plastic covers surrounded by epoxied cardboard or whatever the hell it is.
WRT the most relaxing tool, I'd definitely have to say it's the low angle block plane I just got from LV. It's only my first plane, but I get the sense it won't be the last. Once I got it nicely tuned and sharpened it was a real pleasure to use. It just feels good.
JP

My 31Db attenuating ear muffs.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
The 12 gage and a picture of OBL. Of course I need to replace the picture every so often.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

radio/cd player. Jazz/blues on KKJZ, CW on KTDD, classical on KVCR, KOLA for classic rock.     mahalo,     jo4hn
mttt wrote:

Lathe. No doubt. Well, definitely the most fun.

Scares me the most? Tablesaw.
Jon E
"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message

Add an aluminum taper jig to the that and you have my worst woodworking nightmare ... I will put off a leg taper operation until the last second and have been known to drag it out till the next day just to give my wracked nerves an overnight rest after doing two legs.
I promise .. I _am_ going to build a sled taper jig ... IF I can just find a damn design I like.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04

Most relaxing: A ROS, No danger, no effort and great results.
Most rewarding, a razor-sharp chisel.
Most nerveracking, a tablesaw- the only tool that I've been injured with
Barry Lennox
My broom. Everything else down there can hurt me if I don't pay attention.

most relaxing -- 20" Grizzly Planer most nerve racking -- 3hp Grizzley Shaper
mttt wrote:

Most relaxing/absorbing would be the chisels and my hand-crafted wood rasp, while carving on a classical guitar.
Most nerve-wracking would be using a router to cut shelves on the guitar body for the ebony edge binding inlay: the surface is curved AND domed, and if my cut is off by as little at 0.003" or so then it seems to show as a pretty nice gap. Seems easier on this 4th guitar; was mostly white-knuckled on the first two!
Cheers,
Scott
Most nerve-wracking is a 6" diameter panel raising cutter at 8,000rpm on my shaper when I have to raise a small curved panel by hand with my fingers less than an inch from the cutter. I don't get scared by a lot, but this definitely has my attention. The most relaxing is running a #4 smoother accross a well behaved piece of wood.
Preston

Why on earth would you have your fingers less than an inch from the bit? Why don't you build a jig to hold the workpiece before you get hurt? Better yet, why would you post this for newbies to read who don't know any better and who might try it themself sometime?
Geez Frank
Tools wake me up, and for two reasons, serenity (fun), and danger. I don't ever want to be around a power machine that doesn't wake me up.
Most relaxing (creative) - definitely the bandsaw. For reasons mentioned in an earlier post.
Most terrifying - Tablesaw, because two major things can happen, I meet the blade that wants a part of me, and I meet a piece of wood that had a fight with the blade that wants a piece of me.
Honorable mention goes to the other power machines in my shop. The planer jointer is a danger because its so fricking quiet, I have an Inca. The router table is a masquerading dentist drill. The belt sander can be aggressive when I want something done yesterday. This sometimes results in a piece flying into the next room. And the chop saw makes a noise more nauseating than the router.
Geoff NJ
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:48:02 GMT, "Preston Andreas"

In about 3 minutes, dual featherboards and a push-stick/pad would take all that fear and danger away, Pres.
G2405 and/or H3308 at http://grizzly.com/
Better yet, a $10 safety kit: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberD683
I agree that the "scritch" from a well-tuned plane sliding over a board is a truly relaxing Zen-like sound.
- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
my #4 smoother, which I spent WAY too much time tuning up; but warmth you barely feel as the shavings curl near your thumb... you know what I mean