S-OT: Is Wooddorking a Growth segment?

I swear the number of newbie 'dorkers (dorkettes?) I bump into is growing everyday. Seems like AAJ Rocklers and Woodcrafts are popping up like Subways. Seems like Behemoths (WMH, Delta/PC) are snapping up smaller players and putting more adverts on the telly...
Is this simply a case of "no-real-growth rate change, you're simply more aware"? Or do market numbers show that 'dorking is a growing market segment?
[ I actually wrote the first word processor, and spreadsheet. And I invented the run-flat tire. I was the first to sell books over the 'net. I'm tired of missing out on the Next Big Thing... ]
mttt asks:

I don't have any figures for you, but consider this: the boomer generation is starting to retire. This is the largest generation in history, inheriting from the wealthiest (WWII generation) after having a great time making lotsa bucks (stereotypical, but ya know what I mean) for 30+ years.
What is considered true is that these people are now searching for hobbies, that many have been out of touch with any kind of manual working skills for decades, and that many hunger for a return to those skills (which they may actually NEVER have had or even had close knowledge of).
So you've got a wealthy (relatively speaking) generation with many millions of numbers, retiring over the next decade or two. A significant number are going to want to at least try woodworking, or so it seems, with increasing sales. When I worked at Woodcraft, an increase of 35% annually was pretty much expected. You are not going to see that kind of growth in many places, especially in recession years.
Yeah, I'd say it's a growth market. We may not be entering a gilded age for hobby wooddorkers, but we sure as hell are on the edges of one that has glossy enamel. Now, if we can convince them all to not stain cherry....
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
On 28 Jan 2004 19:10:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Not to mention that many are retiring from jobs that provided little artistic or manual satisfaction. Creating something "real" is very attractive after years of working with "virtual" things.
This is the chance for retired pros to make a nice chunk of change giving instruction! <G>
Barry
Charlie Self wrote:

What should we do? Paint it?

Naaah. Everybody who is anybody knows that you pickle it.
Paul Sharron asks:

Of course. Use whitewash and wipe immediately.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html