S-OT: Commercial (Thomasville) Finish Question

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Noticed that our Thomasville brand end-tables have some spots where the finish has been abraded or dissolved. Looking for a quick patch - need not be a "platinum quality" solution - but just something to avoid any more damage until I can get the whole top refinished. Appearance of "patch" need not be inconspicuous.

[ I believe the only wet things that hit these tables were water (condensation from ice cold glasses). Since we normally do our Jack Daniel's swilling in the basement. Would that lead one to conclude the finish is likely shellac rather than lacquer? ]

Suggestions? Thank you!

Reply to
mttt

No it can be Lacquer , Nitro Cellulose lacquer will do what you describe in a heartbeat water actually goes right though it If they used a vinyl sealer under it it would not have the problem. And if they used an acrylic lacquer they would not have the problem either. Sometimes another coat of lacquer will cure it but then you have the waxing that has been going on there. And that becomes another mess Nitro Lacquer is close to 1/2 the cost of the acrylics and the vinyl sealer is about 30% more than the sanding sealer

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka